Fourteen.

Isamariá

Jada, Joshua, and I were walking around the city just talking like we usually did on mornings like these. I wanted to get away from home for a while since my mother wasn't too happy with the check I brought home last night. After all the hard work they made me do, I only got paid 70 cent. Yes, it was outrageous...but who is the person that has the right to be mad? Me! My mom just didn't understand how hard I was trying to help her pay the bills.

I just wanted to have a carefree morning. I didn't have to work today, or even go to school. I was determined to make this a good day.

"We haven't walked around here in a long time." Jada said. "You've been so busy, Isa! I'm glad you finally have some time for us."

"Of course." I smiled. "You two are my bestfriends. I'll always make time for y'all."

"Y'all." Joshua smirked. "You're the only person who says that around here."

"Well, I seem to be the only one who is from the south around here." I chuckled. "Let's go get an Arizona. I need something to drink."

"Is that all you drink?" He asked before he let out a laugh.

"Most of the time." I resonded.

We walked to the nearest store, and to my surprise I seen Andreson sitting on the sidewalk smoking a cigarrette. Just by his appearance and the look on his face, I could tell that he had a rough night. Despite him looking so stressed out, I was happy to see him. I was always happy to see him, no matter where it was or when.

"Hey." I smiled as I approached him. "What are you doing so far from home?"

"I--"

"Oh my gosh!" I heard Jada squeal. "You're Andreson Valdez!"

Oh boy. I thought that she had got over him? I guess not. "It's Andree," He said, blankly.

This moment probably had to be the worst time for Jada to meet him. Couldn't she tell? I mean, look at the man! He was smoking a cigarrette for Christ's sake!

"I am so in love with you!" She exclaimed. "I never even thought that I would see you. I guess Isa wasn't exaggerating after all!"

"Yep, I guess not." He said as he put his cigarrette out. 

Right after that, he grabbed another one out the box and began smoking that one, too! I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I wish that I could just take the box away from him and tell him to stop, but I knew that he wouldn't care about my commands.

Jada's demeanor shifted from excited to disappointed. She was most likely upset with Andreson's lack of care for his "number one fan."

"I'm gonna get a drink." She said before going inside the store.

Joshua followed her and left me all alone with Andreson. I sat down next to him and sighed, ready to hear whatever bad news he had to tell me. "What's wrong, Andreson?"

"Why do you think there's something wrong?" He asked.

"You ain't acting like your usual self." I said. "Plus, you're smoking cigarrettes."

He chuckled, "I got into a fight with my dad last night. He kicked me out, so that's why I'm not at home."

"What happened?" I asked.

"The truth about my dad is that he isn't a good person." He said. "He's abusive and controlling. I felt the need to defend myself, and when I did he kicked me out."

"I'm so sorry, Andreson." I said. "Is there anything I can do?"

"Stay my friend, Isa." He said. "I care about you more than you think..and I'll always be here for you no matter what. All I ask is the same in return."