Chapter Ten

Piper

How dare he do that to me. I was so angry I couldn't even think straight. All I wanted was to shove him and pound his face until he begged me to stop.

I wasn't normally a violent person, but tonight I was only seeing red. Hot anger burned through me, sizzling into every part of my being.

When he leaned down and kissed them, that's when I lost it. What kind of sane person would do that? What kind of sane person would talk about how there was beauty in ugliness?

Those marks were nothing but ugly, an ugly truth that no one should ever know. Especially not him.

He had said we weren't that different, but everything about him screamed different. I just wanted to get away from him. Away from those judging eyes that watched my every move.

I fell to the floor, grasping the small silver box in my fingers and tracing along the pattern that was etched into the lid. My mother had given me this box, one week before my father killed her. It was the only thing I kept of my former life, the only thing I refused to leave behind.

I lifted the lid, grasping the blade between my fingers and yanked my sweats down again. I didn't normally do this twice in one day, but the control I had felt from earlier had dissipated the moment he saw me so fragile and weak.

I didn't want to be weak. I needed to regain that control. It was consumed me with how much I needed it.

The blade sliced into my skin again, and I bit into my lower lip to stifle the cry of relief that washed over me.

As the door to my dorm opened, I froze in fear. I had thought it was Ty coming back, but when I saw her my heart started to beat rapidly and the sensation of fainting courses through me. I wasn't sure if it was from losing blood, or from the fact that she knew I was doing it again.

"Oh hell no." Sophie said. She ran to me and jerked the knife away from my hands. She shoved it in her pocket and I knew I would never see it again.

She grabbed the blanket from my bed, and pressed it to my wounds. I started to say something about my blanket, but I decided it was better not to. There was no use to pick a fight right now. It would only make her wrath worse.

"When did you start this again?" She demanded. "Tell me or I'm going to call the hospital and have you put under suicide watch."

I stared at her, as hot the tears flowed down my face and all words caught in my throat. She was going to do that whether I told her or not. I wasn't stupid.

"Tell me!" She screamed.

"Today." I choked out. "I just started today."

That was a lie. I had been cutting again for almost a week now. She could probably tell that from the marks on my skin, but I didn't want to see the look of disappointment in her eyes, at least not more than I already did.

"Piper I swear to God I will have you committed. Why? Why do you do this? I don't understand." Tears ran down her face now, her pride set aside the moment I started to hurt myself.

"I- I don't know. It makes me feel better in some sick twisted way." I said, as I pulled my knees to my chest.

"Jesus Christ. You're more fucked up than I thought. You need to get help Piper. You need to talk to someone." She rocked back and forth, her eyes wild with emotion.