one

I stare at my phone, a picture of Simon and I staring back at me. I press off of the photo, memories beginning to crowd my thoughts; he does that often lately, I keep thinking about him at such random times that I feel like he's always with me. It's been ten, almost eleven, months since I last saw him, I miss him. I miss him more than anything but I can't let him back in to something that just keeps starting and stopping every five seconds. 

A lot has happened in the past ten months. I got a promotion, which I'm super proud of. Work is the only thing I enjoy these days. I got engaged. It still feels weird to say. His name is Adam. We met at a mixer for my company, he was sweet and a charmer. He wears fancy suits and drives a sports car and laughs at his own jokes. He proposed last month, I thought about if Simon would ever propose to me. If he would ever feel the need to make me his for life. I said yes because I imagined a life with him; a life of simplicity. But every time I try to imagine that life, Simon ends up in the picture. I feel guilty for saying yes but I also feel guilty for still thinking about Simon...I need to let him go. 

I walk up the stairs to Sophie's apartment, it technically is mine but I live with Adam now, but she still stays here and loads of my stuff still resides in my old room. I left work early and don't expect Sophie to be home but it turns out she is, since the door is unlocked. I walk in, expecting to find her watching Breaking Bad or dancing to the radio but find she isn't anywhere. I walk down the hall and knock on her door, opening it a second later. I lift my head up to see her lying on her bed, her blanket covering her modesty.

"Oh-wow-right-" I mumble, covering my eyes.

I hear her gasp, "Violet-uh-hey, what're you doing here?"

"Uh, I-I didn't think you'd be home?" I reply, as more of a question.

A door opening makes me turn my head and I see Adam. With a towel wrapped around his lower half. I put two and two together pretty quickly. 

"Violet, it's not what it looks like-" Adam begins but I stop him.

"It's exactly what it looks like." I sigh.

"Vi, we never meant for this to happen." Sophie looks like she's about to cry.

"I'm sure you didn't." I retort.

"Babe, don't be like that, we-" I cut Adam off again.

"Don't be like what? Don't be mad my fiance cheated on me with my best friend? Don't be shocked that I thought I could trust you? Don't be pissed off that the person I thought I loved fucked someone else? What Adam? Don't be like what?" I shout at him, his face showing shock.

"It just happened." He mumbles.

"Well, a lot of things just happen, don't they?" I reply, raising an eyebrow.

"Violet..." Sophie trails off.

"I don't care Sophie, I really, really don't care, I don't want any excuses about how you guys didn't mean it or how it just happened or how you guys are super sorry because it means nothing, neither of you mean anything to me." I calmly say.

Silence consumes the room and I turn on my heel, walking away. I walk straight out of the apartment, straight down the stairs. I barge out of the doors and find myself stumbling on to the street. I turn, attempting to blend in to the crowd as I shakily take my phone out of my pocket and dial the number I've been hovering over for a while.

"Hello?" A voice replies, huskily.

"Harry?" I mumble, stopping in my steps as I hear his voice.

I hear him perk up, "Violet?"

"God, I have missed you." I chuckle lightly.

"How have you been? It's been forever, Vi." He asks, sighing slightly at the end.