seventeen

6 weeks later:

I haul my body up the stairs of my apartment building, my boots clacking off of the concrete slabs. I rub my eyes as sleep hangs heavy on my eyelids. I unlock my door and walk inside. I place my bag on to the kitchen counter before walking in to my bathroom. I turn the shower on and take my clothes off slowly, before standing inside the small yet cosy cubicle of hot water. I wash my hair and put it in a bun, before changing in to a pair of grey joggers and a burgundy t-shirt. 

I walk in to my kitchen and curse for forgetting to get my mail, I quickly slip on a pair of Vans before jogging downstairs to the mailboxes in the lobby. I find mine and unlock it, finding five letters. I look through them as I walk back up the stairs, two are promotional offers for shops close to me, one is from work, one is an invite to a fundraiser and the last one has me stopping in my steps. A British stamp sits on the front. I walk in to my apartment and sit on the edge of my bed, carefully tearing the envelope open. I feel a smile reach my face as I read it:

'Dear Violet,

I understand why you're not here anymore. I understand why you left and why you probably hate us all a little. 

I will move on. I hope you do too. I hope you find your happiness and continue to be a success. I hope you know I'm proud of you too, you're the most incredible person I have ever met and I'm lucky to be able to say you were a part of my life; even if you're not anymore.

I hope we can keep each other updated in life, I'd hate to not know if you're okay or not. Just little things, every so often. I know you're busy, so are we; we have a book coming out soon, I can send you a copy if you want. Maybe we'll meet again in that little coffee shop without even realising. But I'm sure we will be different people with different lives by then.

Good luck Violet, you were my favourite chapter in my life; I hope I was yours.

Forever,

Simon'