Chapter 14

SAVANNAH POV

"So, how've you been?" I ask, realizing that I never really properly caught up with him.

The last time we had hung out for this long since the wedding, and I remember how idiotic I must've looked around him. Laughing even if I couldn't hear his joke, and acting completely different from myself. I tried way too hard to get him to like me. 

"I'm doing good. Why do you ask?" Brendan says.

I awkwardly look at my lap and stare at my thumbs twiddling together. I've been really concerned about Brendan after his father died, and I never really got to tell him how sorry I am. He truly loved his father even though everyone around him couldn't see it because of the way he was acting. He just had a strange way of coping with the fact that his father was dying, which in return, nearly caused his whole family to turn on him.

Once his father did die, however, there was a huge shift. Brendan really turned everything around and really has turned into a better person ever since. It's one of those unfortunate cases where something traumatic had to happen in order for him to change. 

"Well, I never really got the chance to tell you that I'm sorry about your father. I'm a few months late, I know, but still."

Brendan clenches his jaw before blinking rapidly to get the tears out of his eyes. My heart begins to pound, and my cheeks heat up out of embarrassment. Damn it, I hurt his feelings. 

Can I do anything without making the situation awkward?

"I—," I pause, trying to find the right words to say to him. "I'm sorry for bringing that up."

"No, no, no, it's fine, I appreciate the concern. You try to act like you don't care about me, but I can tell that you do by that look on your face." Brendan snickers, and I furrow my eyebrows.

"What look?" I ask cluelessly.

"You know, that crestfallen, droopy look like how the actors do it in the movies. That's exactly what you just looked like." Brendan explains, and I scoff.

"I'm not sad or anything, Brendan. I'm just concerned, that's all." I sternly add.

"Well, we're fine." Brendan says, and I can tell that he's not being completely honest.

His eyebrows hang over his eyes in an obscure way, like he's not even sure what he just said is true. I watch him, trying to see if he'll actually tell me what's up, but I know that it won't happen.

Pride, a mans best friend and worst enemy.

A man will do anything before swallowing his pride and actually admitting what's bothering him, and that bugs me. 

"Everyone's fine, especially Rian. Being busy with the hospital, a baby, and a wife to satisfy, he hardly even has time to be depressed about our father anymore." Brendan admits.

"What about Vanessa?" I ask.

"Veterinary school is going well, and she's consumed with homework so it's not like she has much time to just sulk all day."

"What about you?"

I didn't even realize how much I softened my voice until he looks over at me. I just spoke to him like he was an abandoned puppy or something, so he's staring at me like I'm an idiot or something.