Chapter 5: Stay Away From Breakable Things

As I'm moving up the sidewalk in front of the diner, I look through the window.

Jasper's inside, alone, wiping tables and putting chairs on top. He still has a few tables left, but he seems to be working fast. He pauses to push up his glasses and continues working.

I walk up to the main entrance and test the door, seeing that it's unlocked. A small bell rings above, signaling that I'm there.

"We're closed," he says, without even looking up.

I just kind of stand there, not knowing what else to do. "I can't tell," I say sarcastically and instantly regret the joke.

Jasper lifts his head, his blue gaze locking onto mine. "Oh, hey," he says shyly and sets down the rag on the table. "You're a few minutes late."

I finally force my feet to move in his direction. "I think I need to chill out of the French fries and milkshakes," I joke.

He breathes a laugh and takes one step closer. "The coffee?"

I shake my head. "Already had three cups today." Then I show him my injured hand. "I'm here to pay my medical bill."

Timidly, he takes it into his hands to examine it. "Looks like I'm in the wrong profession."

Right now the cut just has a Band-Aid over it since he sealed it last night. "Baby steps," I tell him.

He chuckles and lets go of my hand. My skin sparks from where his fingers had been on my palm. "I'll work my way up."

My lips curve into a bigger smile and I feel my cheeks flush. "I actually came here to give you this." I hold the cat dish in my palm and then leveling it with the other. "It, uh, reminded me of your cat. And it's like a thank you, for what you've done for me since you've started working here." I pause to take a deep breath. "It's silly and you probably don't have use for it, but it's my weird way of saying thank you."

The corner of his mouth perks up into a half smile and the apples of his cheeks deepen a shade of pink. "Thank you," he says softly and takes it from my hands. "I actually do have something I could use this for. But you didn't have to get me anything for being nice."

"I know," I say and clasp my hands together. "But I wanted to."

Jasper smiles a little wider. "Thank you."

"You're welcome," I reply and my smile echo's his. "Do you need help finishing up? I promise I won't hurt myself again."

He laughs nervously and shakes his head. "That was actually my fault. If I didn't drop everything I pick up, then you wouldn't have cut your hand."

"This hand wasn't destined for great things anyway," I joke and point to it.

Jasper handles the cat dish with care, placing it on top of the counter top, beside what looks like his bag. "You don't have to help, since you know, I'm kinda getting paid for this, but..." he trails off and rubs his palms together. "You can, uh, stay for a few minutes if you want. That's if you don't want to go home."

"I have school in the morning, but you're right." I breathe and sit on one of the stools. "I don't wanna go home yet. So I'll annoy you for a few more minutes."

Jasper walks to the table and picks the cloth up again. "That's fine, but you're not annoying. I live with five siblings. I know what annoying is."