Chapter 23: My Sweater Smells Like Your Perfume

"What are you doing?"

"I just wanted to see if she wanted pancakes."

My eyes slowly open, waiting to adjust to the sunlight. Tyler's blue hair comes into focus first and then Maggie standing behind him. At first I'm confused by the looks on their faces until I realize my head isn't resting on a pillow, but Jasper's chest.

Holy. Shit.

"I can explain," I say quickly and push myself up.

Tyler raises a brow and folds his arms over his chest. "Oh, I'd love to hear it," he answers, "over the pancakes I made for breakfast. Downstairs in five minutes."

Maggie looks at me while biting down on her lips to keep from laughing. When Tyler turns around to face her, her expression straightens quickly, but it doesn't last long because she's still trying not to laugh. I'm definitely in trouble.

When they leave my room, I tap the side of Jasper's cheek to get him to wake up. He doesn't even flinch. "Jasper," I say and push on his shoulder. "Wake up before I tickle you."

His eyes snap open. "Why is the sun up? The sun isn't supposed to be up, Ella."

"Looks like we're both in a little bit of trouble," I murmur and pat his shoulder. "Come on. Tyler wants us downstairs."

Jasper breathes out and sits up to grab his phone. "Shit," he whispers. "I set the alarm for 2 PM instead of AM. I have a text from my mom and one from Jaylen. He covered for me apparently."

I snort and climb out of my bed. "That was nice of him."

Jasper stands too and slips his boots back on before we walk out of my room. My doom waits for me downstairs and I'm not exactly ready for it. When we make it to the bottom, I breathe out and nearly drag myself into the kitchen where they're both sitting at the table already. Of course, Jasper and I will be sitting across from each other instead.

I sit first and Jasper follows. He runs a hand through his messy hair and his cheeks redden. I should've told him to run before it's too late.

"So," Tyler starts, "I guess I don't have to point out the elephant in the room."

"He fell asleep by accident," I explain. "We set an alarm, but set it for the wrong time. Literally nothing happened but sleep. We're just friends."

Tyler lets out a sarcastic laugh. "Friend's don't sleep in the same bed."

It's Maggie's turn to butt in. "Then what does that make us, Tyler?"

"Um, that's different. We're getting married, so I think we're over the friendship stage in our relationship. You're my best friend, you know that."

"Benji's your best friend," she notes.

Tyler scoffs dramatically. "I can have more than one best friend, Maggie. Evan and Mason are also my best friends. Ella's also my best friend and if Jasper's lucky, he can join the squad too."

I stare at Maggie and point to Tyler. "Please tell me he did not just say squad." When I look to Tyler, he's amused. "You sound like a middle-aged dad trying to fit in."

Tyler's smile widens, because he knows exactly what he's doing. "What? I told you, I'm catching up on today's lingo."

"Where's your mini-van, Tyler? Shouldn't you be in charge of car pool today?"