Chapter 40: In The Moment

The skies are dark the day we have to leave. Weather in Florida is too unpredictable.

            I leave the room while Remi sleeps and walk down the hall to Jasper's room. His door is open, but he's not in here. Parker's door is shut, which leads me to believe he's still asleep too. I guess Jasper didn't go back to sleep when I left his room this morning. I'm still in his sweater, but I slipped on a pair of black leggings underneath before I went back to sleep this morning.

            Walking downstairs, I hear Abby in the kitchen cooking breakfast. She smiles when she sees me. "Good to see you're up," she says. "I'm going all out for breakfast before you guys leave."

            I return her smile. "Sounds good to me. Have you seen Jasper?"

            Abby nods. "He's been sitting on the beach since sunrise. He played the piano for a bit and I could tell he was overwhelmed."

            My heart falls a little. "He'd scold me for asking, but is he okay?"

            "Yeah, he's fine. We talked a little earlier. Don't worry that pretty head of yours."

            My smile returns a little. I won't lie and say I'm not worried, but I know he's okay. He told me he'd tell me if he's not. "Do you need help with anything?" I offer instead.

            "Oh, of course," she replies. "Can you crack the eggs for me?"

            Abby goes to the fridge and pulls out a carton of eggs. She slides them onto the counter by the bowl and I go to work. "I didn't get a chance to thank you for letting me and my friends stay with you," I say. "It's been nice."

            "I should be thanking you guys too. It does get lonely here and I miss my grandkids. I told Jasper you guys are free to come whenever you want." She gives me a motherly smile and brushes a hand down the back of my hair.

            The look she gives me makes my eyes burn. The miss for my mother that I buried deep resurfaces. I'm being stupid right now.

            And I think she notices the falter in my smile. "Everything alright?"

            I push it back onto my face and nod. "I'm fine."

            Abby pats my back and broadens her smile. "Wait until you try my homemade biscuits. Any worry you have will disappear."

            I laugh at that. "You're making me hungrier."

            "Good, because none of you will be leaving this house with empty bellies," she assures. "And I'll make sandwiches for you to take on the road."

            My stomach grumbles at the mention of food and also the aroma of the bacon she's cooking along with the biscuits in the oven. "Maybe they can leave without me," I say jokingly.

            Abby laughs again. "I'll be sure to let them know."

            I definitely wouldn't mind spending a few more days here.

            There's a light touch to the lower part of my back and a gentle kiss pressed against my cheek. I know it's Jasper just by the way he surrounds me.

            "Good morning," Abby greets.

            Jasper's warmth moves away from me. "Good morning."

            I finish cracking the eggs and give Abby the okay before moving over to Jasper. Just being a foot away from him and I can smell the beach on his skin. "Is it raining?" I ask him.