Chapter 6: No Means No

Song: Brick By Boring Brick by Paramore

"If it's not real
You can't hold it in your hand
You can't feel it with your heart
And I won't believe it
But if it's true
You can see it with your eyes
Oh, even in the dark
And that's where I want to be."

-------------------------------

"Where are you going?" Victoria asks and leans against the doorframe to my room.

            I use my finger to smooth out a coat of lip gloss on my bottom lip. "Date," I mutter and stand up straight. "Remember?"

            "Kameron?" She asks.

            I breathe out and make my way out of my room, pausing in the doorway. "Yeah," I say. "Happy now?"

            She casually shrugs. "If I would've known you were into a guy like Kameron, I would've saved a lot of time."

            "Did you ever think you were wasting his time?"

            Victoria grins at me. "No one that deals with an Ellis wastes their time. Kameron should be happy you agreed to go on a date with him. He's lucky."

            I glare at her. "I wouldn't say he's lucky to be going on a date with me," I tell her. "Quite the opposite actually. Anyone that deals with an Ellis is very unlucky."

            The doorbell rings, but it doesn't faze Victoria. "You're an Ellis whether you like it or not."

            I just walk by her and head downstairs. "Let me have one night, Victoria," I ground and touch down on the landing in four inch heels.

            She's close behind me. "Fine. Do whatever the hell you want, because you're going to anyway."

            I pause. She sounds just like me.

            If I'm turning into Victoria, I need to do something about that really fast. "I don't know when I'll be home," I say instead. "Don't wait up."

            When I walk outside, Kameron's waiting just below the steps. He turns around when he hears the door open. A smile graces his lips. A genuine smile that I don't see too much from anyone. Definitely not from my family. "How are you tonight?" He asks and offers me his arm.

            I smile back a little and hook my arm through his. "Pretty good, I guess," I reply. "You?"

            "I'm good, too," he says and guides me to his car.

            Kameron opens the door for me and I slip inside. He jogs around to get to the other side and we leave through the front gates.

            "Where are we going?" I ask him and clasp my hands in my lap.

            He glances at me and presses down on the gas a little more. If he's trying to show off, it's not working. "Dinner," he says and eases off the gas pedal. "And that's it, I promise. I'm not gonna try anything. Victoria already threatened...you know."

            I start to smile. Victoria has a weird way of showing she cares. But I guess I do too.

            "Not that I actually thought of doing anything," he adds quickly.

            I breathe a laugh. "No, you're fine. I know my sister."

            Kameron visibly relaxes.