Chapter 27: Save Your Warnings

Song: Drown (Live from Maida Vale) by Bring Me The Horizon (I've been listening to their live album from The Royal Albert Hall on repeat for a week)

"It comes in waves, I close my eyes.
Hold my breath and let it bury me.
I'm not okay, and it's not alright.
Won't you drag the lake and bring me home again?"

------------

-Jasper-

         I slip the cover of Mr. Rhodes's tower back on and place the screws into place to seal the panel shut. When I finish, I gently pick it up and place it back in the box he brought it to me in. It was just a simple hard drive change that barely took fifteen minutes. Everything worked efficiently when I tested it, which means it's ready for pick up. I type up and invoice, quickly sending it over to his email for payment.

            My temples throb as I lean back in my chair and remove my glasses. I rub my eyes, feeling sleep creep into them, and basically take them over.

            "Now that everyone's gone or in bed," I hear Jaylen speak from my doorway. "You can sneak out now."

            I breathe a laugh and lift my head to look at him. "The only thing I'm about to do is sleep," I tell him and raise to my feet.

            Jaylen steps into my room, stopping in the middle. "How'd dinner go at Ella's?"

            "Great, actually," I reply, instantly feeling my cheeks warm at the mention of her name. "I only hurt myself twice and embarrassed myself once. That I remember anyway."

            "That's a record."

            "A good one I hope," I mutter.

            Jaylen laughs gently. "I don't think it would matter to Ella anyway. I'm sure she finds your clumsiness adorable."

            I almost burst out laughing at that. "There's nothing attractive about being clumsy."

            He shrugs a shoulder. "I mean I guess if you had a nasty cut across your face it's not."

            Shaking my head, I roll my eyes. "Thanks for the talk. It didn't change a thing, but thanks."

            Jaylen laughs again. "What are big brothers for?"

            "I don't know," I retort. "Maybe I should ask Jarod."

            He crosses his arms over his chest and grins at me. "Someone's getting a little bold now. This should make things around the house even more exciting."

            I bite down on my lips to keep from laughing.

            Jaylen starts backing out of my room. "Sleep tight, brother."

            Once he leaves, I gather clothes for a quick shower. It's edging on one in the morning and a shower along with sleep is exactly what I need. I'm tired. But it's a mental exhaustion more than anything. The amount of socializing I've done today is most likely the cause. It was all worth it though. Seeing Ella as much as I did today was definitely worth it. Also being around her family was quite the experience.

            I can't say mine wasn't, but hers was better.

            I think I already miss her.

            After my shower, I dress in a pair of sweatpants and ruffle a towel through my wet hair. I walk out of my room and down the stairs to take something for my headache so I can actually fall asleep tonight. In the kitchen, I almost scream at the sight of Jarod sitting at the island with a bowl a cereal.