Chapter 20: This Is My Road Trip Shirt

Song: Dinner Bell by With Confidence (I know I just used one of their songs, but this song's stuck in my head, so I'm calling it fate)

"And I, I don't want you to know
I don't want you to know
That I, I don't want you to go
I don't want you to go."

-----------------

"Do you want to hang out this weekend?" I ask Jasper, my phone on my shoulder while I move The Fill-In Boyfriend to its new home on my bookshelf. Rearranging my bookshelf was just something I have always loved to do, no matter what day it is.

"I wish I could, but I have to get ready for Joey's birthday," He mumbles through the phone. He's most likely working on a computer so I was lucky to even get a couple of words out of him.

"It's Joey's birthday this weekend?" I question.

"Yeah, it's on Saturday," he replies.

"Awe," I gush as I pick up Glass Sword. "What are you getting him?"

Jasper sighs and it sounds like he puts something down. "That's just the problem. I have no idea what to get him. Being the last child and all means that you get practically everything either handed down to you or everyone wants to buy you stuff. I don't want to get him something he already has, because that's annoying, but I also don't want to get him something he doesn't want. Even though he's turning four, he always knows exactly what he wants."

"Well, why don't you just ask him?"

"Because that defeats the purpose."

"Okay, I get it. What about..." I trail on, trying to think of something, anything. "The ship!" I hear a big noise on the other line.

"Ow," Jasper says meekly.

"Did you fall?"

"You didn't have to yell into my ear," he murmurs.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you even though a bee buzzing by will do that to you." I roll my eyes, even though he can't see.

"Oh shut up. What did you say?"

I laugh. "You're telling me I yelled and you didn't even hear me?"

"I was too busy falling," he grumbles.

"Alright, clumsy, I said we should get him a ship." I pick up a stack of books off of my bedside. I'm pretty proud of myself for reading all four of these books in a week in a half.

"Have you not seen his collections? It literally specializes in ships. That's like the one thing he completely does not need."

I shake my head and then remember that he can't see me. "No, there's this specific ship that he really wants. He told me after he watched some show called Sea Monsters."

"When was this?" Jasper asks. "This week's show is Jake and the Neverland Pirates and he already has that ship, Jake, Captain Hook and the Ticking Alligator figurine."

"This was the day of the Reset Space concert last week and he would not stop talking about this ship," I say as I finally put the last books on my shelf. I smile happily. An organized shelf means a happy me.

"Yeah, he's still talking about it. I thought it was one he already had. It starts with J I think?"

"The S.S. Jannington Jr," Jasper and I both say at the same time. I hear his glorious laugh through the phone, and instead of laughing along, I lay on my bed and listen to him. I could see his hair swiping across his head, his lips curling upward, his cheeks changing color and his chest heaving up and down the way it always does when he laughs. I think I love that laugh.