Chapter 29: Practice?

Song: Permanent by Kurt Travis and Paul Travis (Pllleeease listen to this song)

"So what if I fall into you again?
I told you once that I'm not permanent."

------------

"Jasper!" I announce when I walk into his room. "Look what I found!"

Harper, who is asleep on his shoulder, jolts the same time he does. "I'm too young to have a heart attack," he says and spins around in his chair to face me.

I walk further into his room with a grin. "Everything scares you," I tell him. "Your Patronus would be a cat."

He rolls his eyes.

Harper curls on Jasper's shoulder, against the side of his neck before settling and going back to sleep. "Okay, I'm sorry," I say. "But look at these sweaters I found while I was Maggie." I set the bag on his messy desk and pull out the first one. It's an ugly Christmas sweater, but with cats embroidered walking across the front of it. "Isn't it cute?"

Jasper raises a brow. "An ugly Christmas sweater is cute?"

I nod and toss it at him. "It's not the only one either." The other one doesn't have cats on it, but instead has snowflakes and snowmen. "We're gonna be matching."

He looks at me curiously. "So we're one of those couples?"

"If you can take dating advice from Tyler, then yes, we're one of those couples," I tell him. "But we're cute so..."

Jasper lifts the sweater up and asks, "Where are we wearing these exactly?"

"I'm glad you asked," I say. "I heard your dad talking about the family Christmas card, so I have the whole outfit thing covered for you." Then I quickly add, "I'm not saying I'm gonna be in the family picture or anything. This sweater is gonna be cuter than anything your mom would've picked out."

"You could be in the picture," he comments and slides the sweater onto his desk.

I shake my head. "I'm not part of the family."

"You might as well be," he says and draws me onto his lap. "I think you fit in pretty well around here."

My lips quirk into a smile as I hook my arm around his neck. "You think so?"

Jasper's smile echoes mine. "I'll get Joey in here to clarify that."

"I take your word for it then," I say.

Harper moves from Jasper's shoulder, jumping onto my lap, and then hopping down to the floor before she trots off.

I lightly grip Jasper's face and kiss him while he's distracted. It doesn't take long for him to kiss me back. "Did you tell your parent's yet?"

He bites down on his bottom lip. "Sort of," he utters. "My dad knows. I'm gonna tell my mom tomorrow because she works late."

Raising my hands, I slide Jasper's glasses off and set them aside. "No one would be surprised," I say. "Except you."

His eyes narrow into a pretend glare. "Are you making fun of me?"

I squish his cheeks with my palms and shake his head. "Do I ever make fun of you?"

Jasper's expression softens into a smile that he's been hiding.

My hands relax and I kiss him again quickly. I stand from Jasper's lap in time for Joey to come running in Jasper's room. He leans over on his little knees and exhales. Jasper turns around in his desk chair, a small smile quirking his lips. "How far did you run?" Jasper asks.