Chapter 9: Thanks For Your Cooperation

Song: Okay by AS IT IS

"I don't know if I've been worse
I don't know if I can change
But right now, I don't think, I don't think that I'm okay."

----------------------

         "Who are you daydreaming about?" 

            "Hmm?"

            Remi takes a piece of her notebook paper, balls it up, and throws it at my face. "You've been staring at the books behind me for the past fifteen minutes." She balls up another piece of paper, but I manage to dodge it.

            Parker sighs. "You might as well tell her," he points out. "She'll find out eventually."

            "Tell me what?" She glances between us. "Wait—you've been telling him shit you haven't been telling me? Like boy stuff? Just because I'm a lesbian, doesn't mean—"

            "Remi," I groan and lean back in my chair. "I wasn't daydreaming about anyone. I'm tired. It happens when you're up studying."

            Parker snorts. "Liar."

            Remi's eyes widen. "Spill. Now."

            I shake my head and rub my temples. "There's nothing to spill," I answer. "I'm just tired and need sleep. I'm still getting used to living at Maggie's."

            Remi's expression softens instantly. "It's only been a little over a week," she says in a gentle tone. "You've stayed over there before, Ella."

            I didn't want to admit to Remi that I missed Victoria. She's tried calling, but I'm a stubborn coward that ran away. I'm guessing my mom is back to her so-called home in Barcelona because I haven't heard from her since I left that night. "I know," I mumble. "I'll be fine. Just need to adjust, that's all."

            Parker tilts his head onto my shoulder and yawns. "You're better off where you are at Maggie's," he murmurs and starts to get comfortable. "Are we still on for Jenny's after school?"

            The thought of going to Jenny's causes my heart to jump. I haven't seen Jasper since he helped me move last Tuesday. It's Friday. This past Saturday, he called out and he wasn't there to give me my morning coffee. The rest I've been avoiding because I'm still afraid of Victoria showing up. I need to face her though and I don't think I'll ever be ready. 

            "Sure," I reply. "Remi?"

            She blows out a puff of air and closes her book. "Yes," she says sharply. "If I have to go home, I'll rip my hair out."

            "You know you can always stay at my place," Parker tells her. "Nathan lives on the college campus now."

            Ah, Nathan. I'll never forget the gorgeous Nathan Hensley. My first kiss when I turned sixteen. He was basically my Jake Ryan, except that went nowhere. He kissed me the first time and then a few months later, we made out in his room while I waited for Parker to get home from Baseball practice.

            If Parker knew I made out with his brother, he'd probably disown me. That was two years ago anyway and it really didn't mean anything. Yeah, he's a great kisser and on top of that, a good listener, but it didn't go anywhere. I'm a horrible friend.

            "Depends if my dad comes home drunk again," Remi grumbles. "Keep me in your thoughts."

            Parker's hair tickles my neck as he tries to get comfortable again. "Wake me up when you losers are done studying." He yawns again and sighs. "I have some sheep to count."