Chapter 22: I Like You A Lot, Jasper Elias.

"Where's the cake? Did Jaylen get the cake?"

"Yes, Mom," Jane answers. "Jaylen's getting it now. He should be back any minute."

Mary's bustling around the kitchen, getting the food ready for the tables outside. She's in full panic mode. "Where's your dad? And Jasper?"

Jayda groans. "Dad's outside with the bouncy house people and Jasper is making sure Joey is dressed for once. And before you ask about Jonah, he's outside with Dad."

Mary sighs and pushes the hair away from her face.

Since the twins won't ask, I walk up to her and offer to help.

"You're a doll," she says and picks up a tray of cheese. "Please help me get all this food outside. People will probably be arriving any minute."

I give her a smile and lift a tray from the counter.

When I make it outside, Jacob is across the yard helping the guys with the giant pirate ship shaped bounce house. Everything is arranged neatly around the yard. I don't even know how Jacob managed to get an alligator. Well, it's a baby one, but still not sure how he pulled that one off. All he said was that he knew some people. It's very guarded by two keepers, so hopefully we won't have an escaping baby alligator on the loose.

The way Mary and Jacob planned this party is perfect for Joey. It's completely pirate themed and I can't imagine the kid being disappointed. He hasn't seen it yet, but he's going to flip out when he does.

It doesn't take long to help Mary get all the food outside before she had a nervous breakdown. Jaylen eventually showed up with the cake and that's perfect too.

I hear Joey's giggle and footsteps coming down the stairs.

Joey emerges in the kitchen, decked out in a full pirate costume including the hook for a hand. He runs to Mary, immediately jumping in her arms. "You look just like a pirate," she tells him and fixes his hat.

He beams. "Jathper helped."

Jasper steps into the kitchen, clearly out of breath. "I don't know how he does it," he says breathily. "One second I'm putting a hook on his hand and then he's gone the next."

Mary shakes her head and proceeds to walk out of the kitchen with Joey.

I lean back against the counter and watch Jasper from the other side of the kitchen. "Wanna hang out at my house later?" I ask him.

He walks further into the kitchen and shrugs. "Depends on how much hell my mom is gonna raise when this party's over."

I step up to him and tilt my head back so our eyes meet. "It is a Saturday," I say quietly. "I can sneak you in and we can watch movies all night. It'll be better than the phone."

Blush slowly covers Jasper's cheeks. "Um, I'll try. I can't believe you want me to get in trouble."

I lock my hands behind my back and grin up at him. "You'll only get in trouble if you get caught, Jasper. Consider this a learning experience."

He raises his brows. "And what will I be learning, Ella?"

Reaching forward, I fist the hem of his t-shirt into my palm. "I guess we'll see. You do like learning, right?"

Jasper's eyes roam my face. "You already know the answer to that, don't you?"

I drop my hand and take a step back. "Maybe," I tease. "If you'll excuse me now, there is a baby alligator outside that's named Skippy. We're even allowed to hold him."