Chapter 10: Frowning At Customers

Without getting out of my car, I fumble for my phone in my bag and quickly find Parker's number. Instead of texting him, I call him and press my phone to my ear while nibbling on my thumb nail.

"Hey, you home—"

"Victoria's here," I interrupt and look towards the house.

"Shit, at Maggie's?"

"Yes," I say back in a whisper. "I don't wanna see her right now. I can't see her right now, Parker."

"Ella, calm down," he sooths. "Do you need me to come over? Do you want to come over here? Just don't work yourself up."

I bow my head until it's pressed against the steering wheel.

Parker breathes out. "Calm down, Ella," he says softly. "Just breathe. You knew you'd have to talk to her sooner or later. Do you need me to come over?" He repeats.

I'm being childish again and add in being overdramatic. I shouldn't be afraid to talk to my own sister. "I'm fine," I breathe. "I need to stop being such a baby."

"Ella," he goes on in his soft tone. "You'll be fine. I'm on my way—"

"No," I say quickly. "You don't need to come over. I'm just gonna go in and face it. I really need to."

Parker's quiet for a moment. "Don't cry."

"I'm not," I retort.

"I know you," he says without a moment of hesitation. "You gotta remember that. Just call me if you need me. I'm going to bed, but my phone will be right by my head."

I release a shaky breath and nod, even though Parker can't see me. "Thank you," I murmur. "I'll see you on Monday."

"Dream about me," he jokes.

With a small laugh, I raise my head up and breathe out. "I'll dream about you getting eaten by a snake."

Parker gasps. "So rude to me."

Another laugh escapes and the small pressure on my chest releases. "Thanks for making me laugh. I'll call you in the morning."

Parker laughs too and say, "Night, Ells."

I hang up the phone and slide it back into my bag. As I'm still sitting here, I go through a pep talk in my head to motivate myself. Knowing Victoria is only feet away instead of miles, my chest clenches again. Ignoring the feeling, I push the car door open and head inside. I'm fine. It's just Victoria. She may even be happy to see me.

Doubtful.

Without thinking, I open the door and step inside. When I shut it, I instantly make myself known. Tyler peeps his head out of the kitchen and gives me a smile. He glances behind his shoulder and then walks up to me. "She's not mad," Tyler whispers to me.

I set my bag down on the floor. "She's not?"

"I don't think so..." He trails. "At least she doesn't seem like it. She just wants to talk to you. I can't leave her and Maggie alone. Maggie's pretty civil now, but the look she gets is pure murder."

I laugh without meaning too and I feel better knowing she's not mad. "Then we shouldn't wait any longer."

Tyler walks ahead and I follow him into the kitchen. Victoria is standing near the sink and Maggie's on the opposite side of the island. Victoria stands straighter when she sees me. "Can we talk?"