Chapter 21: Pizza And Dares

I wake to Jasper and Jaylen yelling at each other.

It's not surprising at all. The only thing I'm actually surprised about is that I got any sleep without them fighting. I'm not sure how long I slept, but it must have been an hour at least. "What are you guys fighting about now?" I ask in a murmur while my eyes adjust to the light.

"We're lost," Jasper says plainly. "We're not supposed to be on the coast. We're not supposed to be seeing water."

"Wait—" I sit up and look out the window. "Why are we driving down the beach?"

"Because we're lost," Jasper says again. "And this dumbass won't ask for directions."

"Why can't he use his phone?"

"No signal," Jaylen says. "I know where I am, so shut up."

Jasper barks out a loud laugh. "No you don't. Just stop at one of these gas stations so we can ask for help."

Jaylen breathes out, clearly annoyed. "I know where I'm at," he says again. "I'm on A1A."

"Okay, well, I'm glad you know how to read signs," Jasper says sarcastically.

Suddenly, the car jolts once and then it completely shuts off. The front starts making a clicking noise as Jaylen slowly pulls over to the side of the road, across from the beach. "Shit," Jaylen hisses. "What happened?"

"Oh, look at that," Jasper starts. "The check engine light is on."

Jaylen rolls his eyes and finds his phone. "Still no signal."

"There's a gas station over there," I point out. "Go see if you can use their phone to call a tow truck or something."

He nods and doesn't say a word as he gets out of the car. I watch as he jogs across the street and down the sidewalk to reach the gas station. Once he's inside, I push open my door and climb out to stretch my aching legs. I walk on the small sandy path down to the beach and gaze at the crashing waves.

I feel Jasper's presence beside me before he makes himself known. "We're driving you crazy," he states.

"Just a little," I reply and sit down in the sand. "I don't mind being stranded by the beach."

Jasper sits next to me and his leg accidentally brushes mine. "I don't think I mind either. This beach isn't crowed at all either."

My eyes scan the beach. Jasper's right. There's no one around except a couple that's a bit away from us. They're standing close to the rising tide, the water brushing their bare feet. They're young, maybe late twenties. Their smiles can't be mistaken.

A breeze ripples through my hair and tickles my neck. "I'd do anything to live on the beach."

"Beach houses are worth it," he says. "There's nothing like waking up and having your coffee while staring at the sun rising above the ocean."

I nod in agreement. "Sounds fantastic." Then I go for my phone in my pocket, pulling it out and switching to the camera. "Take a picture with me. I need a new lock screen and the view is perfect."

"I'll ruin the picture," he says childishly.

Shaking my head, I laugh and turn around so my back is facing the water. "Come on. Do this for me, please?"

Jasper stares at me, debating, even though I know he's going to give in to me. Which he does just seconds later.

"Come closer," I whisper.