Reconsider Where You Bank, Allison

That night was tense. I could see stress hanging over Ginny like a dark cloud, so to give her space, I told here I was going to go walk around the town and explore. She said when I was done to come back with dinner for the two of us. Quickly changing into more comfortable attire, I headed outside. It was five o'clock, so I figured I had about three or four hours to go before she called me in a state of worry.

 It was five o'clock, so I figured I had about three or four hours to go before she called me in a state of worry

Here's the thing: I love to explore. It gives me a great sense of calm to get lost in a new environment, and figure my way out of it. Like a puzzle, or a mystery. I knew there were two routes to consider in my exploration: the preserve, or the town. One had wild animals suspiciously killing themselves due to some unknown force at hand. The other had dinner in the foreseeable future. While I was dying to explore the non-boring side of this town, I also had no clue if I was causing animals to kill themselves because of my magic. Opting for the safer option, I started walking to the center of town.

Yes, I could have driven there I suppose, but walking gave me time to think. Of all the supernatural creatures who walked around New York City, I tried to identify which would make animals go crazy. It couldn't be fairies, those guys were the most benevolent creatures to walk the earth. Sirens? Last I checked, they couldn't really persuade animals to bend to their will, only people. I kept going through the list (it was a very long list, as it was New York City, after all) and none were adding up. Then I thought about werewolves, and I briefly stopped walking.

I'd only ever heard of werewolves. Leaders in my coven had come across them before, a pack that were on the run from hunters. I think the alpha then was named Satomi, and they were simply trying to go into hiding, where they could live in peace. My coven had granted them safe travels through New York and helped them settle further upstate. But that was just a story, I never actually met them.

Although, they did say that they knew werewolves were nearby because the pigeons in the area started acting crazier than usual. But not to the point of suicide. So, I was back to square one, because I had no clue what could be causing the wildlife to die, and in such masses.

I looked up at where my feet had lead me, and it seemed to be a more up-and-coming district of the town. I had stopped in front of the only building that wasn't in occupation, it looked like. I read the words under the logo on the chained up doors: Beacon Hills National Bank. Looking up at the opulent building, my head cocked to the side. It seemed like too nice of a building to be shut down. In the distance, I heard a car horn honk, and I figured I should head over to a more populated part of town.

Digging at my phone, I checked the time, it was already eight o'clock, and Ginny had texted twice.

Can you get us some Chinese? I'll pay you back.

You okay?

I replied that I was fine, and briskly walked to the well lit part of the street. Retracing my steps, I went back into a more densely populated part of town, and wandered into the first Chinese restaurant I found. I ordered and paid, and waited for the food. When an employee was handing it to me, I figured I would ask about the bank.