Ice Cream In A Mug

Meditation was usually how I soothed myself and my mind. However if music on vinyl was in the picture, meditation could eat shit and die for all I cared. There wasn't much difference in sound, but it still offered that sense of calm. Turntables and records, despite how they faded away for the longest time, still stuck around. It was comforting to know that something in life could last, could survive the test of time. Even if I might not, I could always put on a record and believe I could.

I was sprawled out on my bed with eyes shut, listening to Panic! At The Disco's album on vinyl. The melancholy lyrics of "Collar Full" were swimming through my ears when I heard a knock on my door. I peered one eye open and lifted my head slightly.

"It's open."

I saw Ginny tentatively open the door, and before I could even process that she was coming into my room, Scott burst through from behind her.

"Scott? What-?"

"We have to go." He said slightly breathlessly.

"Go where?"

"Eichen House?" I opened both my eyes.

"The mental institution? What for?" Scott tossed me his phone, and I looked to see it was already open to a conversation. A conversation he had with Stiles not even ten minutes ago. My eyes widened when I got to the part of the conversation where Stiles said he was being checked into Eichen House tonight. My grip tightened on the cell phone when I read the text from Stiles saying goodbye. I didn't like the finality that came with it.

I threw the phone back at Scott and hopped out of bed. I hustled to my closet and picked up my converse, jumping around as I tried to squeeze them on.

"June is everything okay?" Ginny asked me, eyeing Scott worriedly.

"No, it's Stiles." I told her, walking over to my turntable and turning it off.

"It seems it always is," She muttered. Freezing, I slowly turned around to her. She looked a little bit hurt, and I knew why.

"Scott, we have to go," I pulled a sweatshirt off one of the hooks on my wall and started to follow Scott out of my room. He was already heading down the stairs when I stopped next to Ginny. She didn't look me in the eyes when I called her name.

"I know it doesn't seem like we're talking much these days, but I promise as soon as I get back we'll talk." She looked up at me, eyes sad.

"I just want you to know you can always talk to me, June."

I grabbed her hands and squeezed them before pulling her in for a hug. "I know. And trust me, Gin, we've got a lot to talk about." I let go of her and quickly made for the stairs, putting on my jacket at the same time.

When I got outside, Scott was just finishing up buckling his helmet, and then he passed a spare on to me.

"Where do you put this when no one's using it, though?" I asked him in a semi-joking manner.

"Uh - usually it just hangs off one of the handlebars."

"Ugh, sounds exhausting," I said, putting the helmet on and climbing onto the bike. When my hands were secured around Scott's waist, he took off into the night. It wasn't the first time I had ever ridden on a motorcycle, but it was the first time I had ever gone so fast on one. In New York, we couldn't ever go that fast due to the traffic that permanently congested the avenues. Beacon Hills was an entirely different story, however, with the empty roads filled only with silence and cool breezes. 

I realized on the back of his bike that it was one of the first quiet nights I'd had in a while. Granted ever since that night at the animal clinic two days ago no one had really bothered me. They all chalked it up to me needing rest after I was literally used as a battering ram against a glass cabinet, but I couldn't help feeling like it was something else.