Win The Game

"Lydia. Lydia, listen to me - I - Lydia!" I shook her shoulders and her gaze snapped to me. Her eyes searched mine for any trace of a lie, any hope that what just happened didn't.

"Is she - she's not-" I nodded slowly, and the tears started pouring out of her eyes again.

"Lydia, listen to me. You have to focus on my voice, alright?" I asked her and she looked up at me again. "Good. Noshiko said that Stiles can rest up at her house, and in order for this to work, I need to take him out of here. It needs to be just the four of you out here."

"Four of us?"

"You, Scott, Isaac, and-" I cast my eyes down, but I knew Lydia got the memo. I glanced down at the blood that was on my hands from when I had to get Scott away from - from Allison. I also noticed that despite how evenly I was speaking to Lydia, I couldn't seem to stop trembling.

"Mr. Argent is waiting for us, I need you to help me carry him up," I gestured to the unconscious boy next to us. Lydia looked at me again, and nodded fractionally.

"How are you doing this?"

"Doing what?" I asked, confused.

"How are you so calm?" 

I let out a few breaths before answering in a more shaky tone that fit the situation, "I'm not. Not really. I'm on the verge of a panic attack, and I just need to know that everyone - well, everyone else - is safe. So I just - I just need us to move." I hoisted an arm over my shoulder, and saw Lydia do the same thing. Together through the narrow tunnels, we carried Stiles up to the surface, and up to reality.

I couldn't stomach looking back into the area where I left her, so instead I worked on moving Stiles out the gates of Oak Creek and over to his jeep. I made sure he was semi-leaning on the jeep before I put most of his weight on Lydia. I dug through his pockets and fished out his keys, before turning to unlock the passenger door. 

When I finally pried it open, I went back to Stiles' other side, and helped lift him into the jeep. I buckled his seatbelt and shut the door behind me. I turned back to Lydia, who was hugging herself as a means to shield from the midnight cold. 

"So are you going to follow Kira and Noshiko?"

"No - uh - they already left. Kira sent me the address, so I'm just going to plug it in to my phone."

She nodded, it was almost awkward between us. "Right, and she - is she-"

"Yeah. She's through those gates. You should um - you should get over there soon. Mr. Argent will want to explain to you the story you have to give to the police."

Lydia gazed down at her shoes, lip trembling, "June - I - I don't want to go through those gates."

I pulled her in for a hug, and her body was soon wracked with sobs. I inhaled deeply and looked upward to keep tears from falling. I owed it to her to keep my composure. I rocked her back and forth for  about ten minutes before holding her at arm's length.

"You owe it to yourself to see her," I began, and her hands began to shake even more. I tucked hair behind her ear and wiped her eyes. "Hey, look at me. It's not what you think okay? It's almost - almost like she's sleeping. She's at peace." 

She mustered as much of a smile as she could, and sighed. She started turning around when I stopped her once more.

"Call me when you're out of the station okay? If you want, I'll be there," Her eyes shone with gratitude, and she slipped back inside the gates of the internment camp. I quietly walked around the jeep and opened the door. Sliding in, I wasted no time in driving away from there. If I imagined hard enough, I could almost pretend that I was driving away from a place that never existed, a place that was only real in a nightmare.