Suspect Number 1

I was never much for running, but now I was running for my life. Not looking behind me, I felt a ridiculous amount of dread mixing in with adrenaline to make a sickening cocktail that ran through my veins. My breath coming in short pants, I pushed further into the woods that resided in the Beacon Hills Preserve. 

I couldn't even remember why I was running, or who I was running from. All I could remember was that I was about to die, and not even my magic could save my life. Hiding behind a tree, I stopped for a minute to try and catch my breath, but also take in my surroundings.

This is why I should have explored the town more often. I should have taken the time to familiarize myself with these woods. Who knew I was going to be running for my life through them. 

I didn't hear anyone else around me, so I started walking around, to see if I could find a trail that might head out of this god forsaken place. Looking out in the distance, I came across a small clearing. Too dark to see much, I started walking closer to it.

As I inched nearer, I started hearing sounds of scuffling. Whirling around, I looked to see if my attacker was right behind me. With no one around, I paused, wondering why I could hear people fighting if I was truly alone in these woods at the moment.

Walking into the clearing, I saw what appeared to be an enormous tree. Or it would have been a tree, if someone didn't cut it down. It was a colossal tree stump, and I saw someone lying on it. 

Not someone, Derek. 

When I walked closer to Derek, I recognized that the sounds of fighting turned into chanting, that was growing louder and louder in my ears. When I was finally right next to the tree stump, my eyes widened in horror.

Derek was unmoving, and sprawled out like he had been dropped from a great height onto the tree. He wasn't breathing, blood was seeping out from under him.

"You're next, June." I whirled around to see the ghastly face of what could only be the darach, who then lunged at me.

I shot up from the back seat of Allison's car, panting slightly, looking around so quickly my neck popped.

"Oh the sleeping beauty awakens," Allison smiled at me. Still recovering slightly, I gave her a small smile. Sitting up popping the rest of my joints, I look over to Lydia, who's reading a book on thermodynamic asymmetry. 

She looked over to Allison, "So is that whole 'Not let him out of your sight' thing literal, or more like a general rule?"

"Why?"

"You're running on fumes," she stated simply. Allison let out a frustrated sigh.

"Yeah."

"I'm pretty sure that bus holds a lot more gas than this Toyota," I remarked.

"What if we stop?"

Lydia laughed, "Is it really that big of a deal? So we lose them, we know where they're headed."

"You didn't see what happened," Allison said quietly. I shrank further into my seat, knowing she was talking about Derek.

I wasn't there last night. I promised Ginny I would help her test my magic. It was like coming home from school, only to be put in more school. We did simple exercises that I had done back in New York, we meditated, worked on keeping control. Everything I already knew and more.

Control over my magic had never really been an issue for me. I always maintained a balance with my mind and my soul. In fact, I was always commended for it back with my coven: I had always demonstrated more control than even some adult witches could manage.