A Brief Interlude

Stiles Stilinski was tossing in his sleep. Sweat matted his forehead, and his breathing came in short pants. He rolled over onto his back and with an iron grip he grasped onto his sheets. All the while he was doing this, he was whimpering.

"No, no, no," he mewled, "Don't let them in. Don't let them in. Don't let them in."

He awoke to someone banging against metal violently. His eyes snapped open to see slits of light, and he realized he was trapped in a small space. More accurate, he was trapped inside a school locker. Desperate to escape the small space, he started hitting the metal door. Over and over again, he slammed his palm against the locker, when all of the sudden the door flew open. On the other side was June Child, looking confused as ever.

"Stiles, be quiet! What the hell are you doing?" Stiles couldn't answer her, he was letting the fear he had drain from his system, and the adrenaline was taking it's time.

"June? What are - I don't understand, what - what are you doing here?"

June rolled her eyes and held up her phone, "You texted me asking you to come here, dumbass." Stiles cocked his head in confusion, and she raised an eyebrow. "Remember? You said we were going to mess with Scott's lacrosse gear. In revenge for him painting your lacrosse stick a bright pink? Is any of this ringing a bell? And why do you look like you just rolled out of your bed? Stiles! Are you even listening?"

Stiles was in fact not listening. His face was looking into a mirror that was hanging over one of the sinks in the locker room. He saw June's face appear beside his, and she grinned at him.

"Look, you have a very nice face and all, Stilinski, but we have work to do right?"

Stiles looked over at her, completely bewildered. He was about to ask her what she was talking about when his head snapped over to the sound of a crash out in the hallway. Without taking June into much consideration after that, he promptly left the locker room and ventured out into the school. 

Walking down the hallway, he ignored June's protests of staying back to mess with Scott, and ventured further out. All of the doors were closed in the hall except for one. Slowly advancing towards it, he heard a rustling behind him. 

"Stiles, stop! What the hell are you doing, we need to go back!" June whispered harshly at him. The desperate tone she took was enough to make Stiles look back at her. He noticed she looked terrified, and he put an arm on her shoulder.

"It's okay, look. Just go back to the locker room and I'll be right there, okay?" June bit her lip in worry, and nodded her head. She all but ran back from where they came.

Stiles looked back to the open door and rounded the corner into the classroom. Desks and chairs were slammed up against walls and windows to make room for the enormous tree that sat in the middle of the classroom. Stiles walked towards the nemeton, and reached a shaking hand out to touch it. Before his fingers could be placed on the top of it, a root sprang up and wrapped itself around the entirety of Stiles' hand, as if it was trying to pull him into the tree.

                                                                     *****

Stiles sprang up in his bed. He took deep breaths in as he tried to grasp onto the fact that it was all just a dream. From the place next to him, a tired blonde sat up and grabbed his shoulder.

"Stiles, you okay?" Not looking at June, Stiles stared straight ahead.

He sighed, "Yeah I was just dreaming."

"About what?" The drowsy blonde asked him, and she started rubbing comforting circles on his back.

"It was weird, it was like a dream within a dream," He answered, and June's eyebrows scrunched together in worry.