3rd Dead Body of the Evening

No one said anything for a solid ten seconds. Still looking at Allison, I looked to cut the silence short.

"How many werewolves are in Beacon Hills?"

Eyeing me warily, Scott said, "Uh - a few, actually."

"A few... as in like you two, and the two we just released from here? Or..."

"A few others. And an alpha pack." Derek said, unsure.

Alpha pack, that would explain-

"The animals," I said under my breath.

"What?"

I looked up at Scott, "That's why the animals killed themselves? Was the alpha pack?"

He nodded, and I visibly relaxed, feeling suddenly excited. Scott looked at me, confused.

"Well thank God! I thought it was me!" I said a little breathlessly.

"You thought you were making animals commit suicide?" He questioned.

"Scott, you literally just saw me magically create a barrier between myself and two werewolves, then proceed to send them flying across the room. You think I wasn't a little curious?"

"About that, what are you?"

"She's a witch, Scott." Derek spoke up. All eyes went to him. He was eyeing me still, when he said, "I've never seen a witch before."

"And I've never seen a werewolf before, so call us even." I strode over to him, ignoring the slight flinch of his stature, and held out my hand which was still trembling from all the previous events.

"Hi, I'm June Child, your new friendly neighborhood witch. Sorry I can't stop shaking, I just saw a dead body a few minutes ago. You must be Derek."

It seemed that me mentioning a dead body jarred Derek back to the situation that just occurred. "Cora," he muttered, and angrily advanced towards Allison.

"DON'T TOUCH HER!" Scott yelled as Derek grabbed her arm.

"WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?!" But Allison wrenched out of his grasp.

"That I had to do something."

"She saved our lives," Scott defended. Derek snapped his head over to where Scott was.

"Yeah, and what do you think they're going to do out there?"

"Find woodland creatures to befriend?" I said, hoping to diffuse the sudden anger of the situation.

"Do you have any idea what you just set free?" Derek said, completely ignoring me.

"You wanna blame me?" Allison raised her voice, "Well I am not the ones turning teenagers into killers."

"No, that's just the rest of your family." I suddenly feel like I was dropped in the middle of an unresolved conflict. Like when a new character cast in a television show already on its third season. Just interrupts everyone and the personal moments they share.

"I've made mistakes. Gerard is not my fault."

"And what about your mother?" Silence. I immediately felt like this conversation was intensely private, and I shouldn't be here to listen in.

"What do you mean?" Derek looks to Scott, who was looking down.

"Tell her Scott." He let that settle before walking along and pulling me by the arm. "You, come with me, show me where the body is."

I was eager to get away from this tension between the two ex-lovers but no so much to go find a dead body again. I hesitantly lead Derek to the storage closet I had just run out of.