Chapter 4

~ Emily's P.O.V ~

Coming back home to my smitten little kitten Sergio and having some vino while reading a book in bed really felt nice. It's been getting chillier as the days got shorter. Half way into the day, I noticed my nails had turned pale blue!

But in this room, next to Sergio, wearing a warm sweater, reading a book, covered in blankets, I felt so warm, I hadn't realized my drowsiness and that I was falling asleep.

My mind ran all over the place with the new case in our hands. I couldn't stop thinking about Leah. That poor kid had enough to deal with, I couldn't believe how calm she was. She was a lot more mature than most of the people I knew at the Bureau. But I'll think about this tomorrow. My mind was sinking deeper into unconsciousness without my realization. At those few moments I felt so at peace and safe that I didn't want to care about anything else. I wanted to be in that moment forever. I wanted to stay in this place forever.

But I couldn't...

Because I heard a loud noise...

My eyes flew open and Sergio ran out of the room, startled, as I grabbed my gun and aimed at wherever, screaming "WHO'S THERE!" Nothing happened until I heard a buzz. I looked to my left and saw my phone ringing. I cringed, set down my gun, and picked up the phone. The caller ID read Morgan. I scowled before picking up.

"What the hell are you doing, scaring the shit out of me?!" I screamed, resting my hand over my heart, taking a deep breath.

"Uhm...sorry, Prentiss. Everything alright?"

I sighed and said "Yeah...yeah I'm fine." I rubbed my eyes and checked the time. 12:40 A.M.

I grunted, then mumbled "What are you doing up so late?"

He hesitated, before saying " It's only 12:40, Prentiss. What are you doing asleep so early?"

"I'm doing myself a favor so I don't feel like crap when I wake up for work. Anyways, why'd you call me?"

"I was up watching the news when a new report came on just now. You should see it for yourself."

"Was I the first one you called?"

"Who cares? Just go!"

I closed my eyes, rolled them inwardly and sighed before kicking the sheets off and walking to the living room. I had my left hand holding the phone to my ear, so with my right hand, I grabbed the remote and changed the channel to a local station.

"I'm in front of the Carrie household where a 9-1-1 call came in twenty minutes ago. The caller was Leah Kurian, saying that there was an intruder who left a note in the fridge saying 'Don't try to run away from me, Leah. You will be mine.' Officers are searching the house for any evidence leading to the suspect, but so far, nothing has been found."

I stared at the screen, my thoughts all over the place. I put my phone back on my ear. "Morgan, meet me at the house."

" Prentiss wai-" I cut him off by turning off the phone.

~ Derek's P.O.V ~

Ugh, Prentiss. She's getting herself wrapped up in this case. I mean sure, Leah's case is sad, and I want to do anything to help, but Prentiss is gonna get herself hurt.

Whatever, I thought. I get up and reach out to the coffee table, grabbing my holster with my gun and buckling it on my belt. Then I take my badge and put it in my back pocket. I walk to the front to put on my boots and a jacket. I send Savannah a text telling her I won't be at home when she comes back, since she took overtime. Desirée and Sarah came to visit and were babysitting Hank at their hotel, so I sent them a text saying that Savannah would pick him up. Then I headed out the door.