Chapter 20

- David's P.O.V.-
There was no backing out now. My gun was pointing straight to Onodera's forehead. But when he backed away from Leah, he also took out a gun and held it to her head.

Any minute, I could've pulled the trigger and ended it. But he could've done the same to Leah. He was giving me a wicked, aggravating grin.

Leah was sitting there, motionless. Despite the tense situation, she looked calm and collected, but also as if she would break any moment.

I kept my eyes straight ahead, on Onodera. I decided the only way to get Leah to safety faster was to get straight to the point.

"She's not your Leah. Let her go."

He snickered and clutched her chin. "You don't know that. She could change, just for me."

I clenched my gun, but kept my stance, not moving an inch. "This one is not the same age as you as the other one was. She doesn't have the same experiences. She never had a past with you in Harvard. She's only a thirteen year old girl in tenth grade."

I could see Onodera's jaw clench. "This one is perfect, even if she is just another person."

"You made a vow to your Leah that you would never fall in love with another, that you would keep beside each other till the end of eternity."

Onodera's smile came back. "I'm only making sure it sticks. This one is a substitute."

"She's not your wife, Onodera. She's not the one you made a vow to. She's only your former student. Let her go."

"I love my wife, detective. You have no idea how much I love her. If anything ever happened to her, I would do anything in my power to get her back."

"Even if it meant kidnapping and taking another life for hers?"

"Even if it meant seeing her differently. It doesn't matter. As long as she's here, with me."

Leah angrily tried to pull away from his grip, but Onodera seemed to tighten it. I heard a crack before Leah gasped and groaned in pain.

"If she's your wife, why are you hurting her?!"

"A wife doesn't flinch away from her husband, detective. This is teaching her a lesson." He squeezed harder and Leah screamed.

"Stop that, now! No matter who she is, you don't hurt someone to teach someone a lesson!" His grip softened. Leah's eyes eyes opened, tears rapidly flowing down her cheek.

Now I was fuming. "No wonder your wife ran away. She might've loved you once, but that faded as you did things to your girl."

His face darkened, his smile turning into a frown. "Shut it you old fool. You don't know anything."

"Did you think for a second that a girl would want to stay with her man if she was abused every damn day? And when she told you that it couldn't work out, you forced everything she knew out of her life! Her family, her friends, her job! You locked her up and kept her there. And when she disobeyed, you taught her a lesson."

"I did it for her!" Angry tears were making their way down his cheeks. Only a bit till I shatter him.

"No, you moron! You did it for yourself! You loved her too much, and she loved you back, but you made it fade. You abused her, you freak! SHE loved you and you abused her! Well good thing she ran away! It was that or deal with a maniac like you! Acts that don't prove you're a man! They prove you're a whimp!"

He broke. The point of the gun went from Leah's head to mine as he screamed. But I hit him just in time. The bullet went straight through his head. The hole gushed with blood as he fell backwards onto the ground. He's done.

Leah sobbed. I rushed to her and untied her. As soon as she was freed, her arms wrapped around my waist and she cried harder. I embraced her warmly, whispering to her. "Its okay, it's okay."