The Black Knight

Ector and Ulrich rode to where the black knight was. The black Knight was still as the two men approached.

“My lord, do you think this was a wise choice to make?”

“Not in the least, but I want to know why this bugger tried to steal my father’s banner.”

“But he’s a Black Knight, those men have death wishes. Why…”

“Ulrich?”

“Yes my lord.”

“Shut up.”

“Yes my lord.”

Ector stopped to look at the Black Knight, who acted as if he did not see the two men coming up to him. There was a soft mist coming out of the slots that line the mouth of his helm. His breathing gave a low growl, Ector thought that he sounded like a dragon waiting for the kill. Ector looked back at Ulrich, and then nudged his horse to approach the knight. Yet still the Black Knight did nothing.

Ector slowly waved his hand in front of the knight’s visor, and still nothing happened. Turning back to see Ulrich shrug, Ector shook his head in disbelief, the Black Knight was asleep. Ector made the horse back up a few steps before he called out, “A pleasant evening isn’t it.”

The Knight was immediately animated and saw Ector next to him. “You should know better than to disturb a sleeping knight on quest.”

“I did. That’s why I made some distance between the two of us.”

“…Good point. Well then King Ector, what is thy wish?”

“First, why the hell did you steal my father’s banner?”

“I would never steal such a prized possession,” Ector noted the great sincerity in the knight’s voice. “I simply wished to do my part, and fulfill my duty to an old friend.”

“I see, how is the wound doing?”

“It was more of a sore muscle than an actual wound, a few days rest and it was no more.”

“Fantastic to hear then. I see that you have a few spears upon that spare horse behind you.”

“Yes, I am without a squire, and as such I am forced to use the spare horse for all those duties.”

“Ah, well then, may I suggest that we alleviate you of a few of those spears?”

“King Ector, are you implying a desire to joust?”

“It’s a lovely night, and the feast is boring me to tears, I don’t see why not?”

“But we are not in an immediate quarrel.”

“I see it not as a quarrel, more of a young man seeking to improve his skills with a knight of your skill and renown.”

“If that is your wish, then I will be more than happy to oblige.”

Ector went to Ulrich to grab a spear. “My king this is madness. You’ve only practiced jousting twice. There’s no way…”

“Ulrich, can I give you some advice?”

“Of course my king.”

“When the impossible has become possible, nothing matters.”

“I don’t quite understand, my liege.”

“Neither do I, now then, will you pass me my spear?”

The king took his spear and rode to a part of the clearing between him and the Black Knight. Both nodded to the other before lowering their lances, and when the moment was just right they charged.