The Second Battle of Camlann, Pt. II

The English army watched as Mordred’s legions form into their lines. Ector called the pikemen and sword bearers to the front as several dozen men followed behind them. Sir Kay turned to the king. “The rain will make it hard for our horses to charge.”

“But this will be perfect for raising our own creature battalion,” replied the king.

“Are you certain that we should have these men performing such spells?” asked Sir Ector.

“We must set aside the mores of ancient thought it we are to ensure the survival of our kingdom. And these creatures will give the woverns and giants and even the wyverns a fight that they will never forget.”

The soon watched in amazement as the men in black robes utter chants and from the earth figures grew up and took the shape of large grotesque men. “What in heaven is that?” asked Sir Melles with fear.

King Ector replied. “Those are golems. Creatures of the earth, they cannot be killed. At least not by normal means.”

“And what about those apish creatures on our right wing?”

“Dead Sea apes. And I wouldn’t speak such foul words about them if I were you. Their strength is incredible, and they possess an intelligence that amazed even Merlin.”

The knights looked at the mage who shrugged. “‘They who walk the path of the scholar, walks with God’. And they have truly tried to redeem themselves by following those teachings.”

Sir Launcelot retorted. “But they do not follow the teachings of our savior.”

The king replied sternly. “They follow the same God, follow the same code we do, they just don’t accept one man as their representative. I think that’s nothing to hold against them.”

“But…”

“Sir Launcelot. They have supplied men and creatures to help us fight a much, much greater evil this day. And whatever differences we have prior to this point must be set aside if we are to win this day. As one wise man of my time was said, ‘United we stand, divided we fall.’ And we cannot fall today.”

The knight was silent. King Ector placed his hand on the knight’s shoulder. “I know you mean well, good knight. And I would not have the respect I have if you had not that undying sense of loyalty and dedication. But please trust me when I say these times must not follow the path that I have learned from my old world. And what better way to do that than to bring men together but in the fires of war. To re-forge a world where we can truly live the ideals of ‘might for right’, to make my father’s dream a reality. This is where the ultimate test of man is held. Where one is judged by their deeds and actions, not by who their father was, or where their family is from, or even how they worship in life, but by how they act in the hell storm of death and blood.”

The king then turned to his men. “And this is why we are here. This why I am here! The wolves and demons of the world have come together, to bring chaos, terror, and death back to us, to our families once again. I have not come here for wealth not fame nor even the selfish ideals of knightly honor. No, I have come to defend those who cannot defend themselves. I have come to protect my people. To spare the innocent of the death that Mordred will bring. He brings men of the sword and the purse, who slaughter for their own gains. But today, we will show them what men of worth can do.”