23. Santa Claus Is Late To Town

Chapter 23

Alexis's POV:

   "Oh my god, it's gonna be Christmas!" I yelled to no one.

   Standing in my room and looking at the calendar, I realized it was four days to Christmas. And usually, I'd be ecstatic. Except this time, I didn't have any gifts for anyone.

   "I am so screwed," I repeated over and over again as I ran around my room, pulling on jeans and a tee and grabbing my wallet.

   Running downstairs, I went to my mom, got some money, and grabbed a pad and a pencil while I was at it. I scribbled down all the names of the people I needed to get gifts for and started listing the things I could buy for them.

   "Last minute Christmas shopping Alexis? I thought you'd be better than this," my mother shook her head, smiling lightly.

   "I didn't realize it was so soon," I said, tying my shoelaces.

   "Oh yeah, the only thing you've got in your head is Ian," she giggled.

   I chuckled softly and swung my bag across my shoulder. "Well, I'll see you later then," I said, picking up my keys and heading towards the door.

   "Could you do me a favour?" she called before I could leave.

   I nodded in question.

   "Just drop by Ian's house and tell Harriet that I would love to have them over for Christmas dinner. And don't drop by Ian's room too long," she winked.

   "God mom," I groaned, pulling the door open and heading towards my car.

   Ian and his family had moved into their new house earlier this month. I had been too busy with helping them move in to even remember that Christmas was coming up. The house truly was beautiful. It was comfy and warm, just like them. They had worked on the garden and every time I visited, it looked more grown and the house seemed more lived in. Ian's in love with it, he even started work on the patio, making swings and benches with Ivan's help. He called me over numerous times to help, but we mostly ended up sitting under the stars with splinters in our fingers.

   When I got to Ian's house, I got out and knocked on his door. His mother was the one to answer it.

   "Alexis! How nice to have you over, come on in," she said, ushering me in.

   I smiled in thanks and walked into the living room, waiting for Harriet to lock the front door and join me.

   "So what brings you here? Unless it's Ian, but he usually tells me beforehand," she said, her eyebrows furrowing.

   "No, it's actually not Ian," I smiled and Harriet returned it, just as warm. "I came over to invite you to our house for Christmas dinner, my mom usually cooks up a mean meal,"

   "Oh, that's so thoughtful, darling. I would love to come over," she grinned.

   "Darling? Mom, I thought you said you weren't dating yet," a voice called out, coming from the stairs.

   "I think you'd be in trouble if I was dating this lass here," Harriet laughed a warm, gentle laugh that reminded me so much of my mother.

   No wonder they're best friends, they're basically the same.

   I was pulled out of my thoughts by the sight of a disheveled Ian wearing nothing more than a pair of football shorts. His eyes lit up at the sight of me and a warm feeling blossomed in my heart, my own face lighting up.