25. Fight Club

Chapter 25

   It had been three weeks since Ian's fight and he was healing well. There was a scar across his head where he had started bleeding, but his lip and eye had healed completely. Every time I looked at him, I was reminded of Ash's death and of how I almost lost Ian himself.

   Alright, this is your chance. You need to talk to him sometime or the other.

   Breathing in deep, I rang the doorbell and stood patiently as I waited for him to answer the door. Less than a minute later, a shirtless Ian opened the door, running a hand through his messy hair.

   "Nerd?" he asked in surprise.

   "Hey," I smiled slightly.

   He motioned for me to come in and closed the door behind me as I made my way to the sofa in the living room.

   "What brings you here?" Ian asked, kissing my forehead and sitting down next to me.

   "I think we need to talk about what happened," I said, all traces of a smile vanishing from my face.

   He sighed and sat up straighter. "I told you I was sorry,"

   "It's not that, Ian. I can't be worrying about you every time that we're apart, wondering whether you're somewhere out there getting your head bashed in. I can't have my heart jump every time you or Connor calls, because the first thing I think about is you in a hospital bed. I can't be reminded of Ashton every time I look at you. You were supposed to be my escape from everything else Ian, I can't deal with constantly worrying about your every move. I can't lose you,"

   Ian's eyes were sad, and so was his smile. "Alexis, this isn't something I can help or stop,"

   "Then we need to figure something out, right?" I said, tears threatening to spill.

   "Hey, look, I don't want to hurt you, and I definitely don't want to lose you either. I don't want to remind you of a past you're trying to escape, but this is also a part of me," he said, looking down at our entwined fingers.

   I nodded furiously, looking down too, blinking the tears back. "So let's figure out a deal, alright?"

   He nodded. "Well, what do you want me to do?"

   I thought for a few minutes, wondering what could make this better. I knew that this was a part of Ian, and I couldn't pick and choose what to love and what not to love about him. I had to accept every part of him, and I couldn't force him to change for my sake.

   "How about," I trailed off as the plan formed in my mind. "Okay, you tell me every time you have a fight, and you allow me to be present. That way, I don't have to worry,"

   Ian looked at me, his face blank for a few minutes. "Alex, I don't think you being there is the smartest idea. You could get hurt too,"

   "I can handle myself. I'll get Connor to come to me. Worst comes to worst, I'll always have Skylar there. He helped me with you once, I don't think he'll have a problem doing it once again," I said confidently.

   "Really? Skylar?" he rolled his eyes and fell back into the sofa.

   "Something's better than nothing," I murmured.

   "Fine," Ian said, after a minute or so.

   I turned around and smiled at him. "Deal?" I stuck my hand out.

   "Deal," he agreed, taking my hand and kissing the back of it.

   Blushing, I chuckled and then entwined my fingers with his once again. Ian pulled himself closer to me, so close that our thighs were pressed against each others. Placing a finger under my chin, he raised my head. The air around us was charged with unsaid feelings and emotions. The blood was rushing in my ears, and then, I could hear nothing but the breathing of Ian Daniels.