10. Who's The Nerd Now?

People, Julia Monroe (Emma Roberts) --->

Chapter 10

   "You're not going to listen to me, right?" Ian asked, trailing behind me as I made my way to the skate park.

   "Nope,"

   "You know I'm not leaving, right?"

   "Yep,"

   "Can you just hear me out and at least let me know that you're listening?" he asked, eyes big and batting his eyelids vigorously.

   "I'm sorry, are you having a spasm?" I asked, with one eyebrow raised.

   "Ha, ha," he laughed dryly. "But, seriously, just hear me out?"

   "Fine," I gave up. 

   Yes, I'm weak, I know.

   "Okay, so basically, popularity," he said.

   I waited for him to elaborate but he didn't. 

   "Am I supposed to understand that?" I asked.

   "Yeah, pretty much," he shrugged.

   "What about popularity, dummy?"

   "Alright, can we just stop?"

   "Stop what?"

   Turned out he wanted to stop walking. We moved away from the skate park and lay down on the soft grass with the cool wind blowing.

   "Have you ever seen those nerdy teenagers? Not you – no offence – but the ones with glasses, braces, weird clothes?" he asked.

   "Yeah, why?" I asked.

   "There was this twelve year old boy, who was like that. He had thick, black-rimmed glasses and braces. He used to wear shirts neatly tucked into this pants and he thought he looked smart. But all the kids in his school would never talk to him and they would make fun of him. He was the bullies favourite target and he hated it. He was emotionally wrecked. But one day, he was told he was moving. So this fourteen year old boy realized that this was his chance to change. He could become popular, liked, have friends, and maybe, just maybe, the bullies would leave him alone. So he did everything he could. He got his braces removed, contacts, and a haircut. His mother bought him a whole new wardrobe and helped him gain confidence. On his first day of school, he was a hit. The new 'hottest guy in school'. He was overjoyed and he never wanted to lose that feeling again. He realized that he would do anything it took to stay popular and never be lonely again. He realized he would do anything to not be bullied and to have everything he had always wanted," he said, lost in the clouds rolling above us.

   I watched Ian as he talked. I noticed his eyes had that sad, far-away look, as if he was remembering it. It was obvious this 'boy' he was talking about was himself.

   "You were called a nerd?" I asked.

   He nodded.

   "That's why you need the popularity?" I mused out loud. 

   He nodded again.

   "Look, I realize that you need that security and you never want to let this go. But you can't be mean to people. Especially since you've gone through the bullying, you know what it's like being on the other side of the things you say and do to people. Don't let others go through what you've been through, Ian, that's not fair at all. Besides, you've helped me a lot, not only in French. Look at me, I'm so much more confident because of you. All I want is to be your friend. Can't you do that, regardless of the meaningless 'status' that I have in school?" I asked.