11. The Conspiracies Of A Mother

Chapter 11

   I groaned as my doorbell rang. 

   "C'mon Alexis, it's me. Let me in," Jenny laughed.

   I buried myself under the mess of my quilt for a few seconds, then rolled out and paused the episode of 'White Collar' that I was watching. I opened the door and Jenny bounced in.

   "Guess who's going shopping today?" she asked, grinning.

   "You?" I sighed, running a hand through my messy hair. 

   "Yep, and you," she smiled.

   "I don't need to go shopping, Jen," I replied, smiling at her excitement.

   She ran up to my room, leaving me no choice but to follow her. Throwing my cupboard doors open, she frowned. She proceeded to take off pieces of clothing from the hangars one by one in distaste.

   "What are these, Alexis? It's all just plain black, blue, and grey colours. And band tees," she tsked.

   "Hey, they're comfy, okay?" I defended uselessly. 

   Once Jen wants me to go shopping, there's no stopping her. Soon, my floor was full of the clothes she had pulled out.

   "Alexis, are you even watching that episode?" my mom called.

   "No," Jenny replied for me.

   My mom stopped outside my room presumably to greet Jenny, but she just stared wide-eyed at the mess in my room.

   "What are you doing?" she asked.

   "Well, we're clearing out her closet to make place for the clothes she's gonna buy on her shopping trip," Jenny grinned.

   My mom looked surprised at first, but soon broke into a huge smile and rushed off. She came back with her credit card and shoved it into my hands.

   "Make sure she gets some really good clothes," she grinned at Jenny.

   "Of course," Jen smirked, and pulled me downstairs and into her car. 

   "I can't believe my own mother would throw me under the bus like that," I wailed once we got to the mall. 

   "Oh, stop being such a drama queen," Jen sighed, and pulled me into a store.

   "Fine, but no dresses or skirts," I stated, crossing my arms across my chest and still sulking.

   She sighed in defeat and handed me a pair of pants. They were baggy with elastic around the ankles, and had a beautiful floral design.

   "You'll love these, guaranteed," she winked.

   We spent the rest of the day trying on clothes and Jen buying most of them. By the time we were done, every inch of our arms were covered with shopping bags.

   "I need food," I whined as we exited yet another store.

   "Me too, I'm famished," Jenny sighed. 

   We made our way to the food court, and dumped our bags at a free table. After confirming what Jenny wanted, I joined the McDonald's line. 

   "Nerd?" someone asked behind me.

   My breathing hitched slightly as I recognized the nickname and voice, and turned around to find Ian. 

   "You skipped tutoring yesterday," he noted.

   "I just didn't feel too well," I shrugged.

   Lie.

   The truth was that after I found out about the street fights, I didn't think I could face him without the memories returning.