Chapter 13

Soldier 259

  I awake from my dreamless sleep to hear the sound of two people fighting. Immediately, my senses are alert and my eyes open, searching for the possible threat. I see Night and Sylvia's dog curled up beside me, Sylvia and Ogie are watching something from the doorway where the sound of fighting is coming from.

"She could never love you!" I hear 60 yell.

   What?

"She loves me more than she'll ever love you!" Bucky yells back.

  Oh Lord no. Please don't let them be fighting over me. Please!

  I walk over to Sylvia and Ogie and look at the fight happening. Steve is laying on the ground cradling his head with his hands, 117 is lying on the floor unconscious, Bucky and 60 are engaged in combat, and 284 and Sam are trying to pull them away from each other.

"You're the only person who can stop them." I hear Sylvia say. "You're the person they are fighting over."  I nod my head and walk towards the two. Oh they are so in for it.

  Sam and 284 go flying across the hallway and I dodge them. I punch Bucky in the thigh and kick 60 in the thigh as well. They both throw a punch at me without even looking, I dodge them both and kick them both in the knee, forcing them to kneel. Now seeing that I'm a threat, they look at me, but I'm no longer there.

  I come up from the other side and drive my elbows into their necks, they wince. I grab ahold of their hair and pull their heads back, they grab for me but can not find me. I get in-between them and slam their heads on the ground, not hard enough to break their nose but enough to make them stop. Slowly, they look up at me and freeze.

  I glare at them both and help them up. 60 staggers on his feet and looks a little pale, Bucky bounces up and moves his metal arm around a bit to work it out. I see a bruise form on his cheek and give 60 the look. 60 has some ugly bruises forming all over his face, blood seeps down from his nose and a cut on his lip, he's cradling his arm and his legs don't look sot good. To me, it looks like 60 got most of the damage.

"What were you two thinking?" I yell at them both. "Someone could have walked up the stairs and seen you and called the cops! Then we'd have to leave in a mad dash to get out of here!"

  They glare at the other one but avoid my stare. 60 cracks his knuckles and Bucky takes a step forward. I place a hand on Bucky's chest and he stops and looks at me, as if just realizing I'm there. 60 turns green with envy.

  Ogie comes running up to me and I reach down and pick him up. He hugs me, "I knew you would win, Mommy!" My heart does a summersault. Ogie's never called me "mommy" before and I like the sound of it.

  Bucky looks up at 60, shock and hurt written plainly across his face, 60 smirks. Bucky walks away and down the stairs. I watch him go, 60 places a hand on my shoulder and I scoot far away from him. "How could you?" I yell. "You just implied that we had a kid together! We didn't and don't have a kid! Ogie is mine and only mine!"

  I slap him in the face and it feels good. I walk over and hand Ogie over to Sylvia and run down the stairs to go find Bucky. I run into the crowd of people and look in shock at the sky to see that it's dark out. How did it get so late?

  I spot Bucky sitting on a bench and walk over to him, I sit down beside him and stare at my hands in my lap. Bucky bends over and his metal fingers around. "Did you two.... ever...."

"No. I found Ogie on the streets and took him in. He's never called me mommy before until now."

  Bucky sighs and sits back. "Good. I'm sorry about the fight. I don't know what came over me."

"I'm sorry for 60 being a butthead like that."

  Bucky laughs, "Yeah, he kind of was."

  I look at the people as they walk by us, they all have bright colors on, all except for the one man on the curb who is wearing all black. His chocolate eyes watch me from afar and his milky brown skin hides under the shade of a nearby tree. He's in a full body suite, except for the head, that is all black. In his hand is the mask, the mask that looks like a black cat.

"Bucky, there's a man watching us. Over by the curb."

  Slowly, Bucky looks at the man. He frowns. "There's no one there."

"What?" I say and look at the curb again, the man is nowhere to be seen.

"Maybe he left?" Bucky offers.

"Maybe." I mumble.

  I feel something sharp prick my neck and immediately stand up and grab ahold of my pistol in my back pocket. Bucky leaps to his feet and grabs ahold of his own, aiming it at the crowd. I reach up and yank the thing out of my neck to see that it's a tranquilizer dart. This can't be good.

  The world starts to spin and I get very dizzy. I fall back and Bucky catches me, yelling my name. I look into the crowd, eyelids barely open, and spot the man. He's walking towards us with other milky chocolate people behind him. Bucky yells at him and then my crew comes out. They too are shot with darts and fall to the ground. Steve and Sam look strangely at the newcomer.

  The man looks down at me with a sad face and says, "Kyra, I'm sorry but you told me to do so a long time ago."

  Then I know who he is. But it's to late, my eyes are shutting as I go into my forced sleep. I fight it, but the medicine holds out and I can no longer feel Bucky's arms around me.