Chapter 9

"We don't know what's up there, they landed helicopters on the south walls, they're sending in troops, so we are countering them. Play defense, these jets aren't like the ones we've faced before." Eric says

"What about the jets?" I ask

"They're almost the same jets we use, this one has an invisi-shield, they stole our prototypes, and here they are in full production. It should be labeled, but use it with caution." Eric says

"Other than that, let's head out, fly with a buddy, and fly safe." He says

Kat and I grab our jumpsuits and quickly throw our legs and body into the tight suits, on the left by my heart rests the old American Flag, the one that stood for unity, not division. For the freedom of expression, not suppression. For peace, not for terror. I climb into the jet first, I sit down into the cockpit, I can tell this thing has been used maybe once.

"Looks brand-spankin' new." Kat says as she climbs in.

I look at all the controls, they're the same, and then I see the subtle green button, labeled 'Invisi-Shield.' I slide my helmet on, and turn to the right frequency of the radio. The engine roars as I turn it on.

"Just another day on the job." I say as I try to get comfortable.

"Let's hope." Kat says

I roll the jet forward, there is a complex maze of lines ahead of me, signalling me where to go.

"Geez this is confusing." I say

"Just follow the signs to runway 1C, there's like 6 runways in this airport." Eric says

I do as he says, and I eventually find the airstrip, on the ground a while strip of paint labeled '1C' rests there. I line the jet up and speed it up. I leave the ground. As soon as we pass the skyline, I see a lot of helicopters circling around the edge of the charter and the big buildings. There's a large ground troop movement outside of the walls as well.

"Do we have any helicopter pilots?" I ask

"We have two, they're being mobilized. As for us, don't get too close, they have a lot of firepower. Try to nail them with your tracking rockets." Eric says

I switch over to local radio, "Kat, what are we gonna do?" I ask

"Good question, just go in hot around these guys, and I'll try to land some shots." She says

I listen to her, I see two or three helicopters flying in, I quickly fly over there, I cross paths with the helicopters, I hear the machine gun fire multiple rounds, I also hear one or two taps on the glass in return.

"Landed a few rounds, swoop back in, I'm gonna try to get them with the missile." Kat says

As I make the turn back, I watch as they disperse, they all go in different directions.

"Go for the one breaking left, it looks like there's a lot of people on board." She says, I listen to her. I speed up to the helicopter, and pass it. I wait for Kat to land the missile, but I don't hear anything.

"Kat you gotta land it now or I have to back out!" I say, no response. I take the controls and land the shot, I feel a huge wave of energy hit the back of the jet, and I hear the engines whining. The HUD tells me I lost the engine, we're just gliding. The airport is 15 miles the other way, there's no way I'm turning. There is just flat ground ahead of me, I choose to land there.

"Eric, my engine has been shot out, Kat is unresponsive. I'm landing on a field on south side of the charter, my GPS should tell you where I am." I calmly say