Chapter 21

*Back to Avery's POV*

"What's taking them so long?" I groaned making myself at home on Adrianna's couch. I had rearranged myself so my legs were thrown over the back, and my head hung off the couch backwards. My annoyingly straight hair cascaded directly down and gathered in a small pile on the floor.

"They should've been back by now." Adrianna said re-entering the room. She let her hair down from the tight topknot she had it in, and sat down in the chair across from me. I unlocked my iPhone and checked for new messages. I slid my phone across the floor in response.

"Hi girls! I made you some cookies!" A cheerful voice chirped from the entrance to the kitchen. I looked up just in time to see Selene, Adrianna's mom setting down a tray of cookies on the table. "I'm just going to grab the lemonade." She smiled.

"Thanks Selene!" I called to her. Adrianna and I both swarmed the table hungrily. I broke apart the cookie slowly, watching as the still warm chocolate chips melted right in my hand. I didn't realize how starving I actually was until the cookie was sitting in my stomach. Adrianna and I had been too nervous to eat anything all day, we've been waiting for news from the boys since noon.

When the cookies were almost all gone I heard the front door click open. I lifted my head up expecting to see Wes, but it was just Owen.

"Ugh." Adrianna flopped back down on the floor on the other side of the room.

"Thanks, nice to see you guys too." Owen rolled his eyes.

"Meeeehhh." I replied. Sometimes a sound expresses what I'm thinking better than words.

"What was that?" He laughed, clutching his abs with the palm of his hand.

"What happened to you?" Adrianna asked, actually sounding concerned. "Nothing, I'm fine." Owen said, his glare hardening, obviously not wanting to talk about it.

"Get your ass back here." I said before he tried to escape into the kitchen. He froze and reluctantly came slinking back. "Come here." I said now also sitting up straight I hauled myself up so I was sitting on the couch. He came over and I grasped the hem of his shirt to lift it up. He wiggled his eyebrows at me. And I flicked him on the forehead.

"Shut up!" I laughed.

"I haven't said anything." He said with a complete straight face.

"Yeah, but you're thinking it."

"So I'm not allowed to think anymore?"

"Nope. Now shut up." I said lifting up the bottom of his shirt. I pulled it up over his shoulder to reveal a huge bruise covering the right side of his ribs. "Oh my god, what happened?! Ade, go get the kid some ice." I stood up off the couch. "Here lay down." I told him.

"No, really I'm fine." He said. I raised my eyebrows at him and poked his ribs. He groaned in pain and laid down. "Okay fine."

"What the hell happened?" Adrianna asked.

"You know Ebony? That new girl I've been hanging out with?" He asked wincing. I've never heard anything about this but Adrianna nodded her head. 

"She did this to you?" I laughed pointing to his chest. He rolled his eyes at me and shook his head.

"No, this was her boyfriend's doing. Who I didn't know was in the picture just to be clear." His eyes filled with honesty.

"Of course not. You wouldn't hit on her if you knew she was seeing someone." Adrianna drawled while supportively patting his shoulder. He didn't reply so she smacked him on the arm. "Right?!"

"Right! Adrianna, seriously, you know I wouldn't do anything like that." He told us.

"Wait, so what exactly happened? I mean I get that he hit you, but how did it happen?" I chimed in.

"Well there's this thing people can do when you bring your fist back and then collide it with someone else-" Owen smirked sarcastically before I cut him off with a smack to the knee.

"Seriously." I demanded.

"Okay, so we talk at school all the time, so I didn't really notice that she was seeing anyone. But that's because her boyfriend lives kind of around Seal Beach, so he doesn't go to Westminster." He explained. "But I was walking her out and I might have read the signals wrong so I kissed her, he was there to pick her up. He saw. He punched me. Repeatedly. I fell to the ground. And now here we are." He said casually.

Adrianna looked at me and gave me a look that reflected exactly what I was thinking. What the heck was this kid's deal?

"You, my friend are a piece of work." I laughed. "I'm gonna get you some advil." I left shaking my head. In my peripheral vision I saw Adrianna about to go at him with her fist. "And Ade, be nice." I stuck my tongue out at her. She groaned, but backed down nonetheless. 

I returned from the kitchen and chucked Owen the bottle of tablets. "Take two." I told him.

"Woah, future pharmacist in the house." He said slightly impressed.

"Yeah right. I just know how to read the back of the bottle." I laughed. He rolled the vile over in his palms to read the tiny chart.

"15 years and up, male- 2 tabs. Got it." He nodded telling me what I already knew.

"Good, you can read." Adrianna teased and I laughed.

He was about to make some snarky comment when I heard the front door swing open.

Well finally.

Hey guys :) Haha, sorry to leave you hanging like that!!! :D But it needed to be done :) As you can tell, ilovekeaton3910 (Ebony) won the last chapter's challenge. Yippie :)

40 votes for next update :D

VERY IMPORTANT: I've started a new book, it's called "And the Rest is Still Unwritten" PLEASE CHECK IT OUT!!! :D It's not an E3 fanfic, but it's about music/going on tour and becoming famous that kind of stuff :) I would be soooooo happy if you guys checked it out :)