Chapter 32

Wes POV

Simon Cowell was sitting right in front of me. On a couch, just chillin. Actually, it was his couch to be more specific. And we are in his house... we are in Simon Cowell's house. I honestly still can't believe this is happening. He was chatting away on the phone with someone across the country. It's a good thing that he's distracted because if he saw me staring at him he'd probably think I'm weird. Which I kind of am, I guess. But he doesn't need to know that.

A few things that I've noticed since I've been here:

1) Simon's got a pretty boss-ass pool in his backyard.

2) He's got like 5 cars. Which is pretty sweet.

3) He's a lot shorter in person.

4) His cook Anita makes some pretty dope quesadillas.

"Thank you for coming in boys, we've got a lot to talk about." Simon looked us in the eye as he hung up his phone. I shrank down in my seat a little. The guy practically radiated power and it was making me a little nervous. Plus, I couldn't avoid his eyes. He was like the freaking Mona Lisa- his gaze followed you wherever you went.

"Thank you for having us." Drew said politely- representing us as a group because he was the oldest.  Simon smiled at us but I couldn't tell if it was a happy smile, or an 'I will destroy you smile'. Both of them looked pretty much the same on him.

"I've watched you guys during rehearsals and you are like a group of excited dogs when you perform." He told us bluntly. Keaton looked at me strangely, not even trying to mask his confusion. "I mean that in the best way possible. You guys have great energy." Simon smiled at us. I'm pretty sure that was a happy smile. "I do, however, have some notes for you. You guys have great energy and spirit, but sometimes it seems like you lack focus. There's a lot riding on this round- if you make it through you go on to the live shows. But if you don't, then you have to pack up and head home. I know you guys don't want that."

"No sir." Keaton shook his head.

"I really see something here. From your first audition I just knew that you boys were destined to be great. So put the effort in- work hard, and it will pay off." Simon clapped his hands together. "I'll see you boys in three hours."

* * * * *

We took our places outside on Simon's patio and took a few minutes before the song started up. I trilled my lips and tried to relax. Drew brought us into a huddle and we had a little before-performance-powwow.

"Dudes, we've got this. It's our time. We've always known this day would come." Drew said, placing a hand to his bare chest. He was wearing a button down shirt, but he didn't actually button it up. I chuckled to myself. When I yelled at him to put a shirt on for our performance, that's not exactly what I meant.

"All right. Here we go." I took a deep breath in and cracked my knuckles just as we took our places. I heard the guitar intro start up behind me.

"Though I've tried before to tell her

Of the feelings I have for her in my heart

(whoa oh oh oh)

Every time that I come near her

I just lose my nerve

As I've done from the start." I managed to choke out the first few lines of the song as Keaton and Drew harmonized. It was pretty badass. The first verse was a little low, but I kept fighting. It was so nerve racking having everyone stare at me. I saw the other groups inside whispering amongst themselves, watching us. And to top it off, Simon had invited another famous celebrity to add to my nerves.

He picked Marc Anthony, one of the most famous Latin artists in the world to be his mentor. Well that's not at all intimidating. A music mogul and one of the most influential Latin singers are the ones to decide my future. Great. Gosh, would you listen to me? If Avery knew I was freaking out like this she would never let me hear the end of it. I never got nervous. I never had stage fright or was afraid of singing to big crowds. But right now it was different. There were only two people. And they held the key to my future.

"Every little thing she does is magic

Everything she do just turns me on

Even though my life before was tragic

Now I know my love for her goes on" Drew and Keaton joined in and totally nailed the harmony. Yes! Sweet, okay now was time for Drew to come in with the second verse. But he didn't. He took a breath in and didn't say anything.

I almost collapsed right then and there.

"All right bring it around one more time!" Drew nodded, playing it cool. "I resolve to call her up a thousand times a day

And ask her if she'll marry me in some old fashioned way

But my silent fears have gripped me

Long before I reach the phone

Long before my tongue has tripped me

Must I always be alone?" He rapped. He played that off well. It might not have saved us completely, but it definitely brought us back to life a little. I queued up for my next verse.

"It's a big enough umbrella

But it's always me that ends up getting wet

Every little thing she does is magic

(every little thing)

Everything she do just turns me on

(she really turns me on)

Even though my life before was tragic

(it was so tragic)

Now I know my love for her goes on

(yeah ye-ah)." That's it. We're done. I bit down on the insides of my cheeks and closed my eyes shut. Drew had missed his cue. And now we were finished.

"You lost your way a bit there, didn't you?" Simon waved his fingers in Drew's direction. I was still in shock from what had just happened a few minutes ago to say anything. One of us screws up; we all screw up. Drew didn't say anything either. I could tell he was beating himself up on the inside though. "Thank you guys." Simon nodded. I couldn't tell what he was thinking at all. His face was pretty neutral, sunglasses covering his eyes.

We all muttered something like 'thank you' back to him, and shuffled back into the house.

"I screwed up, you can punch me in the face a thousand times." Drew said after we were safely inside. If we didn't make it through, I might actually take the kid up on his offer.

OooooOOoooOOoooH. The Judges Houses round of the competition is complete! What do you guys think so far? 65 votes and 4 comments for the next update??