Chapter 6 - Before the Storm

*Disclaimer: I do not own the rights to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles franchise.

*Author's Notes: Here is chapter 6 of 'Lost in the Fight' and things are about to take a turn for the worse.

Thanks to all of you who have taken the time to read, vote on, and comment on this story. I am super excited that you are enjoying 'LITF.' 

I would also like to thank my followers. I really appreciate your support.

Please continue to read/vote on/comment on this story as well as my other stories if you like them. I really, really appreciate the feedback. Thank you very much for reading. ;) CJ

--------------------------

Chapter 6 - Before the Storm

Donatello was staring blankly ahead at his computer display, seemingly entranced by the ambient glow of the screen. His one hand was cradled over his computer mouse while his other hand was propping up his head, partly because he was bored and partly because he was too tired to hold his head up without the added assistance.

"Donatello?"

Although the unexpected voice that had just spoken his name had been soft and serene, it had still managed to make him nearly jump out of his shell.

Donnie turned and lifted his eyes to set them upon his father, which came as no surprise.

Who else could scare the heck out of me like that?

"M – Master Splinter . . . I didn't hear you come in," Donatello gasped out as he placed a hand across his upper plastron to make sure that his heart was still enclosed inside of his chest where it should be. He then tried to take in a deep, calming breath, but all that his lungs would currently allow him to inhale were a few shallow mouthfuls of air.

"I am sorry, my son. I did not intend to frighten you," Master Splinter said, feeling a sudden stab of guilt. He could see by his young son's reaction that he had startled him.

"No . . . no need to apologize, Sensei. You didn't do anything wrong. I was just kind of lost in my own little world," Donatello explained and while he did so, he quickly straightened his back into a more upright position. He knew that Master Splinter would have frowned upon the poor posture that he had been practicing for the past several hours. His father had always made it abundantly clear that he did not approve of slouching, and at the moment, Donatello really didn't feel up to one of Master Splinter's 'lessons' on good posture. He knew from experience that several of his father's preferred methods for ensuring proper body arrangement could be downright excruciating.

As Donatello adjusted his position, Master Splinter moved in closer to get a better look at his second youngest child and he did not like what he saw. His son looked sickly and gaunt. His reddish-brown eyes were bloodshot and droopy and there was a visible line of sweat broken out along his forehead. His normally olive-colored complexion was unusually pale except for the crimson flush to his cheeks, informing Master Splinter that his son was most likely suffering from a fever.

"You do not look well, my son. Tell me, when was the last time that you had any proper rest?" Master Splinter asked with a worried frown pulling down on his already long face.

"To be honest, I don't actually remember, Sensei," Donatello muttered, following his response with a wry grimace and an awkward chuckle. He then scratched the back of his neck nervously, knowing that Master Splinter was staring at him intently. For the shy turtle, his father's scrutiny was unnerving.

"You are pushing yourself too soon, Donatello. You must rest your spirit if you are to get better," Master Splinter said in his fatherly tone that ordinarily would have made Donatello feel more relaxed, but at this point, it only put the genius turtle more on edge.