Chapter 7 - Out of Their Shells

*Disclaimer: I do not own the rights to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles franchise.

*Special Note: The amazing drawings for this chapter were created by my tremendously talented friend, CorolineThePheonix. I love them so much! 💜

*Author's Notes: Chapter 7 of 'Lost in the Fight' is here and this one's a bit intense.

A huge thank you to everyone who has taken the time to read, vote on, and comment on 'LITF.' I am so grateful for your kindness.

As always, please continue to read/vote on/comment on this story if you are enjoying it. I would love to know. Thank you for reading. ;) CJ

--------------------------

Chapter 7 - Out of Their Shells

Even though he saw Leonardo's hand retract, there was not enough time for Donatello to defend himself from the incoming strike. The back of his oldest brother's hand came lashing out at him and Donnie took the brunt of the lightning fast blow across the mouth and cheek. His brother's backhand had been so fierce, it had whipped the genius turtle's head to one side and sent a spray of blood and saliva airborne. The force of the impact had instantly split Donnie's lip open and blood was already spilling out of his mouth before he could even really register what had just happened.

More dazed and lightheaded than he probably should have been from one hit to the face, Donnie swayed on his feet. He cupped an unsteady hand over his stinging mouth and cheek as he tried to clear his clouded thoughts and vision. Although he had not thought it was possible, his head was now pounding even worse than before, making it difficult to get his bearings straight. His blurry eyes gazed at Leo in both bewilderment and utter sadness, but at the same time, his expression was full of remorse, like he was the one at fault.

Leo stood there frozen for what felt like an eternity, absolutely mortified by what he had just done. He stared down at his trembling right hand as though it was pure evil protruding from his arm. He then looked up at his genius brother and his heart sank into the farthest depths of his stomach. He could see how shaken Donnie was and the hurt in his eyes. Leo's own eyes filled with tears as he watched the rivulets of blood trickle out of his brother's mouth. He had hit his little brother so hard, his hand was sore and Donnie's face was already starting to bruise and swell where he had struck him.

All at once, Leonardo felt as though a thousand pounds of pressure was bearing down upon his chest.

He had struck Donnie. He had struck his docile, kindhearted little brother out of sheer rage. He had lost control of his temper and taken it out on the very brother who deserved it the least. Donnie, the quiet one, who rarely spoke out or defied Leo's authority. Donnie, the selfless one, who constantly sacrificed his own needs in order to help them. Donnie, the peaceful one, who would rather spend his time in his lab studying, inventing things, or working on machines or techno stuff than being out in combat. He had hit Donnie of all turtles.

Leo had never been so ashamed of himself in all of his life.

After a few stunned moments, the reality of what had just happened began to set in. One by one, the brothers slowly came out of their initial shock and started to react.

"Donnie!" Mikey cried out, running to his brainy brother's side. He quickly wrapped an arm around Donnie's carapace to help support his brother's weight since he looked as though he was having a difficult time standing on his own. Mikey then carefully led his genius brother away from where Leo and Raph were standing. He didn't want Donnie anywhere near their big brothers right now. Not after what had just gone down.