Chapter 17 - An Unhappy Reunion

*Disclaimer: I do not own the rights to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles franchise.

*Author's Notes: Chapter 17 of 'Lost in the Fight' is here and I have to warn you in advance that this chapter is rather . . . painful.

A tremendous thank you to everyone who has taken the time to read, vote on, and comment on this story. Also, thank you so much to my followers. =}

As always, please continue to vote and/or comment on this story if you like it. I always appreciate the feedback. Thank you very much for reading. ;) CJ

--------------------------

Chapter 17 - An Unhappy Reunion 

There was the sound of a vehicle, and then . . .

"Sensei! SENSEI!"

Master Splinter had been sitting cross-legged before the Shinto tree in the Dojo, lost in a deep, meditative trance, when he had first heard his sons' approach.

Michelangelo, as to be expected, had been the loudest of the four boys, making his presence and distress known well before any of them had actually stepped foot inside of the lair. As Master Splinter's children drew nearer, the sound of two additional voices came through. The fact that one voice was still unaccounted for in all of the commotion was most disconcerting to him and caused his face to pull down into the longest of frowns. He perked up his ears, listening attentively for the missing voice, but much to his dismay, it remained absent from the ruckus. What he instead heard was the familiar sound of the subway turnstiles spinning, indicating that his sons had just entered the main living space of the lair.

Within a matter of seconds, Master Splinter had nimbly sprung up from his Lotus position and darted into the main room where his sons were now standing. Well, most of his sons were standing. One son was not and the discovery made his heart sink into the furthest depths of his stomach.

While he willed himself to control both his breathing and emotions, Master Splinter's steely eyes began to study his four boys.

Michelangelo was currently standing several feet in front of his three brothers. His bright eyes were wide with panic as he peered up at his father. Master Splinter's presence normally had a calming effect on the youngest turtle, but not this time. Michelangelo was worked up into such a tizzy, that even his father's entrance did not bring him any sense of peace. The orange-masked ninja was fidgeting and squirming about as though there were ants in his shell.

Raphael, on the other hand, was eerily still. The most temperamental of Splinter's children was standing very near to his oldest brother, in a protective manner, presumably shielding the precious cargo that Leonardo was carrying. There was something quite curious about Raphael's demeanor that Master Splinter instantly picked up on. His second oldest son looked unusually distraught and his eyes were red, presumably from crying. Gone was the anger that typically resided within those fiery, emerald orbs.

Leonardo's eyes were red as well, most likely for the very same reason as Raphael's were. There was no doubt in Master Splinter's mind that his two oldest sons had been crying because of the unconscious turtle being cradled like an infant in Leonardo's arms.

The vision made Master Splinter's breath catch in his rapidly constricting throat. Even from the dozen feet spanning between them, Splinter could see the grave condition that his second youngest son was in and he suddenly found himself struggling to rein in his own distress.

"My sons, what has happened?" Master Splinter asked, moving closer to his children so that he could better assess their conditions. His three sons that were standing before him did not appear to have any life-threatening injuries, but it was difficult to be sure when they were all encased in such a heavy coating of filth and blood. The sight of so much blood made the mutant rat cringe with dread, for he was not sure if the blood covering their bodies was their own, their enemy's, or their seriously injured brother's.