Chapter 16 - Time of Death

*Disclaimer: I do not own the rights to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles franchise.

*The absolutely amazing pieces of art for this chapter were created by the tremendously talented laurisha-studios (left picture titled "My little ototo") and CorolineThePheonix (right picture). Thank you so much to the both of you. I love these drawings!

*Author's Notes: Here is chapter 16 of 'Lost in the Fight.' This one is one of the most gut-wrenching chapters in the whole story. Just so you know, I cried several times while editing it . . . 8'(

I would like to extend a huge thank you to everyone who has read, voted on, and commented on this story. I can't thank you enough for the support.

As always, if you like this story, please take a moment to vote and/or comment on it. I would LOVE to know if you are enjoying 'Lost in the Fight.' Thanks for reading. ;) CJ

--------------------------

Chapter 16 - Time of Death

It had all happened so fast, it was like it wasn't even real. One moment, Donatello was standing there, and the next, he was lying on the rooftop, frighteningly still. There hadn't been enough time for Leonardo to do anything to stop his little brother from sacrificing himself, but the genius turtle had been counting on that.

Leo had only been able to watch on in horror as his brother had grabbed onto the exposed prongs of the lethal shock gun. The whole scene kept replaying in the oldest turtle's head, like a bad dream he couldn't wake up from. He could still see Donnie violently twitching and convulsing from the self-inflicted electrocution. What was even worse was that he could still see his younger brother's lifeless body topple into a jointless heap at Tiger Claw's hind paws.

It was all too much for the ninja in blue to wrap his head around and his entire body had gone numb from the shock. Too afraid to move, Leonardo just stood there frozen solid for what felt like ages, staring down in slaw-jawed disbelief at his motionless brother.

This can't be happening . . .

In the back of his overwrought mind, Leonardo kept repeating that mantra over and over again. He kept telling himself that his little brother hadn't just died right in front of him. The mere notion that Donatello had just killed himself in order to protect him from Tiger Claw was ripping the oldest brother's insides apart.

Tiger Claw!

What had happened to the mutated tiger during all of this had actually been the furthest thing from Leonardo's thoughts up until now. Crippled by his grief, Leo had not been able to tear his eyes away from his brother's lifeless body and the blue-clad turtle had left himself totally defenseless against any kind of attack. Tiger Claw could have easily struck the leader down without opposition, but surprisingly, he had not.

Curious as to why his enemy hadn't attacked him, Leonardo looked up just in time to see the massive tiger clumsily disappear down the access ladder, retreating into the night with that horrible new weapon in tow.

Unbeknownst to the oldest turtle, Donatello's plan had worked almost flawlessly. When the jolt of electricity had zapped Tiger Claw, his reaction had been to immediately pull away from the genius turtle's hold on his arm, but not before the mutant feline had been physically impaired by the shock. The oversized cat had let out a low, distorted roar, both from the nearly disabling voltage that had just surged through him courtesy of the purple-banded turtle and from the fury of seeing his hostage lying dead at his feet. Tiger Claw's mission had failed miserably. Despite succeeding in ridding the world of one of the wretched turtles, which would no doubt be a devastating loss to the Hamato Yoshi clan, he had also managed to kill the one terrapin that he had been specifically ordered not to. The punishment for his failure would be most severe.