Chapter 41 - Helping Hands

*Disclaimer: I do not own the rights to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles franchise.

*Author's Notes: Chapter 41 of 'Lost in the Fight' is here. I want to note that the first section of this chapter wasn't actually part of the original version of this story. I wrote this bonus part as a way of thanking everyone for always being so incredibly kind to me. I'm really, really hoping that you'll enjoy it.

Thank you all so very much for reading my story. ;) CJ

--------------------------  

Chapter 41 – Helping Hands

Not even the unmistakable sound of his lab doors being dragged open could tear Donatello's attention away from his computer monitor. His overstrained eyes remained glued to the screen, just as they had been since morning practice a few hours ago. He was so engrossed in what he was working on, it took him several prolonged seconds to recognize the familiar footsteps drawing closer. Once he finally realized who was approaching, his project was immediately forsaken and his gaze shot up to the small figure coming towards him.

"Hey, April."

Had it been anyone else entering his lab, Donatello would have blown them off in the interest of progress, but nothing on Earth could take precedence over the redheaded girl now standing before him. Truth be told, he had been wrapped around her finger from the very moment he had first laid eyes upon her.

A warm, welcoming smile graced April's lips and Donnie couldn't help but to stare at her. Just as he did every time she entered a room. A few moments later, he finally became cognizant – and ashamed – of the fact that he was sitting there making googly eyes at her. His gaze quickly flicked down to the floor, while he kept all his fingers and toes crossed that he hadn't creeped her out with his gawking.

Real smooth, genius . . .

Pushing his rolling chair a few feet away from his desk, Donnie abandoned his slouched position for a more upright one before peering back up at April, whose smile hadn't faded in the slightest degree. In her hands was a small, brown paper bag which she carefully deposited on top of Donatello's worktable before walking up beside him and leaning against his desk. Now it was her turn to stare at him, but something told Donnie it wasn't for the same reason that he had been staring at her. He could only wish that she felt that way about him.

After a few seconds, Donnie noticed there was something unusual about April's stare. It seemed slightly more intense than normal, which made his heart start to race.

Something was off . . .

"Hey, D. How are you feeling today?"

"I – I'm good." The words were supposed to sound more convincing than they had, but sometimes, just being around April got Donnie a bit tongue-tied. Especially those times when she was studying him like he was a specimen under a microscope. Out of nervous habit, he rubbed the side of his neck with his hand.

April continued to look him up and down, clearly not satisfied with his answer.

"Are you sure? Because you look a little pale."

As soon as Donnie saw April's features wilt with concern, he knew exactly who was to blame.

"You've been talking to Leo, haven't you?"

Guilt washed over April's face and she immediately pushed herself away from the desk so she could close the gap between her and Donnie. "He's just worried about you, D. We all are."

It seemed ironic to Donatello that the attention he oftentimes craved from April was now making him feel strangely uncomfortable.

It was at this point that Donnie noticed April's eyes were now fixed on the bandage covering up the new hole in his side. Already feeling self-conscious as it was, the genius turtle quickly moved his arm so that it concealed the wound, but it didn't stop the dread from festering in his gut.