Chapter 14 - Too Much to Bear

*Disclaimer: I do not own the rights to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles franchise.

*Special Note: The incredible pieces of artwork for this chapter were created by my amazingly talented friends, Ashlyn_Chew_123 (drawing on the left side) and CorolineThePheonix (drawing on the right side). They are both extraordinarily talented artists. Thank you both so very much! 💜

*Author's Notes: Chapter 14 of 'Lost in the Fight' is here and this one is a bit of a roller coaster ride. (O.O)

Thank you so much to everyone who has taken the time to read, vote on, and comment on 'LITF.' Your kindness and support really does mean a lot to me. It's nice to know that people are enjoying my story.  

As always, please continue to read/vote on/comment on this story if you like it. I would love the feedback. Thank you so much for reading. ;) CJ

--------------------------

Chapter 14 – Too Much to Bear

Uncharacteristically throwing caution to the wind, Leonardo sprinted towards the chained figure dangling in the back of the warehouse, unable to remove his eyes from the gruesome scene that he was rapidly approaching. He felt his blood run cold as he skidded to a halt not far from where his red-banded brother stood petrified. Rough and tough Raph was at a complete loss as to what to do, too afraid to take another step. He just helplessly stared straight ahead, tears brimming in his eyes while his entire body shook with both uninhibited rage and anguish.

"Donnie." The word had come out of Leo's mouth in a tremulous whisper. The immense sorrow that he was feeling as he exhaled his brother's name was woefully obvious.

It was all too much to take in.

Their genius brother was hanging motionlessly from heavy chains strung up to the rafters of the ceiling. His head was lolled forward against his bloodied plastron. If not for the audible hitch in Donnie's ghastly breathing, Leo would have sworn that his brother was dead. Other than the shallow rise and fall of his chest, Donatello was completely lifeless, drooping limply from the shackles suspending him a foot or so above the floor.

Leonardo nearly retched at the sight of his brother's heinous injuries and it took every fiber of his being to stop himself from throwing his arms around Donnie and breaking down right there and then. The leader felt like his legs were about to give out from underneath him, but he somehow found the strength needed to remain standing and reasonably level-headed, although he had no idea where this resilience had come from. He was just thankful that it was there when he needed it the most. It was vital that he keep himself calm and collected for his grievously injured brother's sake, because his other brothers were already falling apart. Raph seemed to be in some kind of a trance or coma and Leo could hear Mikey whimpering and blubbering behind him. This told the oldest turtle that he was the only one of them still somewhat rational, and even that could have been called into question at this point.

Swallowing a sharp intake of breath, Leo forced himself to ignore the fact that his composure was currently hanging on by a wing and a prayer. He had to stay strong for Donnie. If he didn't, they would surely lose him. The oldest brother then remembered the words that his father had spoken to him not long after the awful fight that had led to all of this . . .

"Leonardo, as leader, you cannot let your emotions control you. You have accepted the responsibility of leading your brothers, and with that responsibility, comes a great deal of obligation and burden. Above all else, you must stay strong and be the beacon that navigates your brothers to safety. They need you to keep balance at all times and it is critical that you remain calm and steady when faced with danger and hardship. If you cannot keep your feelings in check, you will not be able to protect your brothers."