Chapter 40 - Lost in the Fight - Part 2

*Disclaimer: I do not own the rights to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles franchise.

*Author's Notes: I've returned with a new chapter of 'Lost in the Fight' and it's another emotional one. Well, more emotional than the average chapter. There's quite a bit of angst in this one.

I can't possibly thank everyone enough for reading my stories or for the incredible amount of support that I have received. Your feedback and encouragement means so much to me. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart. I am so grateful to you . . . 8}

I really hope you enjoy the second half of the chapter. ;) CJ

--------------------------

Chapter 40 - Lost in the Fight - Part 2

"Tell me, Donnie. What were you so afraid of?"

The words echoed in the back of Donatello's brain as he stared doe-eyed at his oldest brother whose face was now the very epitome of patience, implying that he was willing to wait until the end of time for a response.

"What were you so afraid of?"

The question had seemed simple enough, but answering it was anything but simple. Perhaps that was because Donnie suddenly felt as though his mouth was filled with sand and his jaw had been wired shut.

Leonardo must have sensed his genius brother's distress, because he started to ever-so softly tighten his hold on Donnie's face as if to inform him that he wasn't about to let him go. That slight increase in pressure was what ultimately cracked Donatello's walls.

Swallowing thickly several times, Donnie managed to clear his mouth and throat of any obstructions. Still, his voice barely registered above a whisper, but it was loud enough.

"When you, uh . . . When you told me to look at you just now . . . and y – you – you pushed your hand against my neck . . . Well, it, um . . . it reminded me of Tiger Claw. When we were in that warehouse . . . he ordered m – me to look at him when he spoke. He held a sword to my throat and forced me to lift my head up s – so I had to look him in the eye. Then he . . . he threatened to beat me within an inch of my life."

Both shocked and appalled by Donnie's revelation, Leonardo instantly released his hold on his wounded brother's face, afraid he was going to upset him further than he already had. The discovery that he had personally been the one responsible for eliciting such a painful memory made Leo's flesh crawl. He looked down at his hands as though they had just committed the most heinous of crimes, much the same way he had after he had struck Donnie.

What is wrong with me? Why do I keep hurting him over and over again?

Peering back up at Donatello, Leonardo could see the tears glistening in his second youngest brother's eyes. The leader in blue wanted so badly to wrap poor Donnie up in his arms and console him, but he was afraid that too much too soon might cause his introverted brother to put his defenses back up. Leo couldn't risk that. Not when the stronghold that Donnie had worked so hard to build all around him had finally come crumbling down, even if only for a moment.

It was the first time since the incident that Donatello had actually shared something about his time spent with his captors and it brought his three brothers newfound hope that they were finally getting through to their troubled sibling. Of course, at the same time, what Donnie had just revealed had instantly infuriated all three of his brothers.

Not surprisingly, Raph had taken the disclosure the worst. He looked as though he was about to burst into flames.

Hearing Donnie say that Tiger Claw had threatened to beat him within an inch of his life made the hotheaded turtle's chest burn with uncontrollable rage. He had to clench his teeth to bite back a roar. Raphael had seen the horrific injuries those monsters had inflicted upon his little brother, so he was more than aware that Donnie had been put through torture that night. But somehow actually hearing Donatello say it out loud made it seem so much worse. Just the thought of Tiger Claw and that mutant bear brutally beating his quiet and passive brother was hard enough to stomach as it was. Listening to Donnie put the torment he had gone through into words was agonizing.