Bonus Chapter #1 - April's Apology

*Disclaimer: I do not own the rights to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles franchise.

*Author's Notes: I'm back with a new chapter of 'Lost in the Fight.' Yes, you read that right. It does say 'Lost in the Fight!' I warned everyone when I posted the epilogue that I was hoping to someday add a few bonus chapters to this story based on numerous reader requests. Well, this is the first of those bonus chapters. This installment would technically be chapter 19 ½, as it takes place not long after chapter 19, 'Leo's Lullabye.'

I really hope everyone's ready to finally find out how April took the news of Donnie's attack and his consequent coma. I also really hope this chapter is worth the long wait.

Now, before I jump into the new chapter, I want to say a huge thank you to everyone who nominated my stories for the 2017 TMNT Universal Reader's Choice Awards. I was totally blown away by the nominations I received. I'm so very grateful to all of you for making me feel so incredibly special. I appreciate your support more than I can ever type. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!

I also need to say a huge thank you to my awesome beta reader, Joanne N. Grey. She's such an AMAZING person. I absolutely adore her!

Okay, onto the chapter. Thank you all so very much for reading. ;) CJ

--------------------------  

Chapter 19 ½ – April's Apology ('LITF' Bonus Chapter #1)

She knew before she even stepped foot inside the lab that she wasn't ready for this. Not necessarily because Donatello's brothers had warned her it was 'really, really bad,' but because she had sensed something was dreadfully wrong well before she had received that gut-wrenching phone call . . .

"April. It's Raph."

"H – Hey, Raph. What's up?"

"I, uh . . . I know you're at school and stuff. S – Sorry to bother you. It's just – "

"No, no. I'm really glad you called, Raph. Is everything okay? Because I woke up with this awful headache this morning and it just won't go away. I'm scared it might be a premonition of some sort. Are you guys – "

"Listen. Something's happened, April. It's, eh . . . I – I think you should come down here."

"Why? What is it?"

"We just – we just n – need you to come down to the lair."

"What aren't you telling me, Raphael? What's happened?"

"It's Donnie, April! M – Master Splinter – He said he might not – He said – You need to come down here as soon as you can, okay? Please! We'll explain when you get here."

"Raph? Raph!!!"

Never in all her life had April ran as fast as she had after receiving that phone call. The memory of hearing rough and tough Hamato Raphael actually crying – not just sniffling but out-and-out crying – was still ringing in her brain.

The not knowing what had happened to make Raphael lose it like that had pushed April onward at unprecedented speed; her heart pounding in time with her panicked footsteps. At least it had right up until she had reached the entrance of the lair. That was when her rampantly beating heart had all but stopped.

The first thing April had spotted when she pushed through the turnstiles was Mikey, curled up on the couch, pulling his knees tightly into his chest. The next brother she had noticed was Raphael, who was pacing the floor, clearly a nervous wreck. Finally, her eyes had landed on Leonardo, who was sitting on the stairs that led to the lab, hunched over and staring blankly at the floor.