Piano Man.

They are somewhere. At someone's place.

But it's that song, the loud, cheerful but melancholic harmonica- that clenching of the stomach, the certainty of all those possibilities, all those things you could do, you won't, but you might. That sad, small smile, the tender way you will renew memories of all those moments that were more important than the mass of daily routines and usual sensations. Those moments you can get caught in all over again, those that make you forget life for a while, that play you a melody of lasting emotions.

It makes Slash feel young. Because he is. It makes him think that there's so much he can feel, so much he can become and maybe, just maybe it isn't important what happened or what could be. What counts is the cold beer in his hand, his friends beside him, that stupid, cheesy country song and Axl's soft smile as their eyes meet, both of them caught in a drunken moment full of light- hearted joy.

Judy didn't feel well. Judy stayed home and for the first time in weeks Axl actually smiles at him that  way – shy, warm, affectionate, the small little curl of the corner of his mouth, his front teeth slightly visible, while he brushes a hair strand from his eyes. They look away, they both stare to the ground. They are not doing something important, it's not even that this night would differ from others - it's just that it feels like forever. Out of no reason maybe; it's just the atmosphere, it's the song, it's the sad look in Axls eyes when he looks at him again, before standing up, heading to the bathroom with way too slow, too hesitant steps.

Slash watches him walking away, his nails absently scratching at his beer can. A sigh. Another. Izzy looking at him from the corner of his eyes.

"Need a cigarette, Slasher?"

He offers him his package, encouraging Slash to take one by shaking it.

"Sure...thanks...why?"

"Just go and smoke it."

And then he just does it- just stands up as well, heading outside, but surely stopping in the dark hallway, in front of the bathroom. He leans against the wall while he listens to all the people inside the kitchen, the living room, all those in the garden. Drinking, laughing, jumping into that ridiculously big pool. There's a slight thrill of being separated from them, of not being seen by them.

When the door opens and Axl walks out, he firstly does not see him as well- then he does and he stiffens, staring at him. Slash straightens slightly, separating with the wall, looking at his feet and he's sure that it was a bad idea to follow, a bad idea to think Axl would have wanted him to. But Axl steps nearer standing directly beside him, his breath audible in the stiller hallway.

"Slash...", he says and there's still that song, his stomach stilled clenched, as he watches the long shadows on the wooden floor, the slim stream of light from the still half opened bathroom door.

"What?"

"I...maybe...I didn't realize..."

"Yeah...?"

Slash tries to sound unimpressed, he tries to sound cool and casual, but he doesn't.

"I'm...sorry..."

"I don't care..."

"Ok."

"I don't fuckin'care, Axl..."

Axl is even nearer now and Slash can't help, but turn to him, his head falling to Axls shoulder, while he repeats it again - "I don't fuckin'care, you asshole...you fuckin'asshole..."

"I know..."

"Fuck you..."

Axl sighs deeply, then lays a hand to Slashs head. He removes it immediately, then lays it back like he can't decide if he wants to touch him or not. His fingers start to softly brush through Slash locks and Slash knows he shouldn't relax under his touch, shouldn't give in as soon as Judy isn't around for once, so he steps back again.