t h r e e

Magenta

I sit on my bed, legs crossed, hunched over my phone. I scroll through Twitter bored until my phone dings.

New message from Jackie

I'm out front

I grab my purse off my bedside table and run down the stairs.
I close the front door behind me and run to Jackie's car. Climbing into the passenger seat, I smile at Jackie and she drives.

The radio plays and I find myself humming to the songs. Closer by The Chainsmokers ft. Halsey comes on and we both groan.

"Ugh, this song is the most overplayed song on the radio. I hear it like at least 20 times a day." I complain.

"Please plug your phone in or change the station." She says quickly.

I plug my phone in and put my music on shuffle.

"Nope...ugh no...nah...hmm k oh wait no..."

"Just play a damn song already." Jackie groans.

"Oh, right yep."

"I Haven't seen my ex since we broke up
Probably 'cause he didn't want to grow up"

"Omg yes turn it up." She squeals.

I turn the volume up and we sing along to Guys My Age by Hey Violet.

"Now I'm out and wearing something low-cut
'Bout to get attention from a grown up

'Cause you hold me like a woman
In a way I've never felt before
And it makes me wanna hold on
And it makes me wanna be all yours"

I hold my hand in front of my mouth like a microphone and prepare for the chorus.

"Guys my age don't know how to treat me
Don't know how to treat me
Guys my age don't know how to touch me
Don't know how to love me good
Guys my age don't know how to keep me
Don't know how to keep me
Guys my age don't know how to touch me
Don't know how to love me good"

Jackie and I full on rock out, her trying her best to dance and sing while driving.

The song ends and we both laugh.

"Gosh I love Hey Violet." I say still laughing.

"I know right, and Casey is so hot." Jackie gushes.

I laugh and she squeals as Victorious by Panic! At The Disco starts playing.

"Oh I found a parking spot." She says.

She parks and I check everything I need's in my purse before climbing out of the car.
I look up at the cafe where we were at. The Brew' is lit up in bright blue on a big sign out the front.

"Let's go." Jackie says dragging me inside.

The karaoke has already started and there was a guy who looked maybe 20 or 21 singing a Bon Jovi song.

Jackie and I find a seat towards the back and I offer to get us drinks. I get us both a caramel frappe and we sip on them while we wait for the next person to go up.

"Alright, that was Dean let's give him a clap." The host says. "Alright next up we have...Lisa singing Shake It Off."

I watch as a younger girl around maybe 15 walks up and smiles shyly. She waits for the music and starts singing, the crowd listens intently as her voice fills the cafe. When she finishes she does a little curtsy before running off.