s e v e n t e e n

Brad

When I turned down the boys' offer to go to a party tonight it was because I wanted to have a nice quiet night to myself. With my parents away for the weekend and my sister travelling the world, I had the whole house to myself. However, I hadn't at all expected to open my front door to a dripping wet girl whose tears were hard to see in the pouring rain. But her puffy eyes had told me she had been crying.

"Thank you, once again." She says as she steps out of the bathroom, hair tied up in a wet bun.

"It's no problem." I reply.

I hadn't asked any questions, only held her as she'd fallen into my arms.

"Shh. It's okay." I had reassured the blonde.

"Are you sure you're alright?" I ask her.

She doesn't reply but stares at the carpeted floor of my bedroom.

"Magenta."

"Hm?" Her head shoots up. "Oh sorry. Yeah I fine."

"I-I. He tried to- he almost." She had cried as I stroked her hair - a motion my mum would use when I was a young kid waking up from nightmares.

"Would you like anything? Something to eat or drink?" She fiddles with the sleeves of my sweater absentmindedly.

"Can I please have a drink of water?" She asks softly.

I nod and make my way downstairs to the kitchen, Magenta following closely behind. I hand her the full glass of water and watch as she sips it. This is the girl I've hated since I was 8 when she kicked my shin and ran away screaming that I punched her. The girl that I poured green paint over when we were 10. And the girl that told everyone I had a huge crush on the popular girl when we were 12. But she's also the girl that turned up on my doorstep and is now wearing my clothes. The girl that up until now I'd thought was incredibly strong and cold towards everyone but her dark haired best friend. And right now, I push all our past troubles to exactly there, the past. For as I watch the blue eyed girl I can't help but want to make sure she's happy.

Magenta finishes drinking the water and sets the glass on the bench.

"Thank you but I should probably be heading home now." She says softly.

"No."

"No?"

"No. You shouldn't be going home right now. I'm guessing your house is empty otherwise you wouldn't be here right now. And by the state you turned up in on my doorstep, I don't think you should be alone."

"Well where else am I supposed to go?" She rolls her eyes.

"Nowhere. You can stay here for the night. You can take my bed and I'll take the couch."

Magenta shakes her head. "No, you've already done enough."

"I wasn't asking." I smile slightly.

"Ok." She nods whispering.

My smile grows. "How about we watch a movie and then we can go to sleep."

Magenta nods and I lead her to the couch as a find a movie to play. Finding the perfect one, I put it in the DVD played and join the now calmed down blonde on the couch. We sit on opposite sides of the couch, a whole cushion between us. I push play on the remote and pull the large blanket that was draped over the back of the couch over us. She smiles at me and I nod turning to the TV.

We watch the movie in peace and I can't help but smile every time she quotes the movie.

"I'm sick...boo you whore."

I laugh quietly to myself as she quotes another part of the movie I'd watched with my sister too many times. It when I look over at her that I notice the decreased space between us. She's now on the cushion beside me and I've moved closer to her.

20 minute later she was fast asleep on my shoulder, her neck twisted at an uncomfortable looking angle. Hesitating, I pull her head onto my lap so she's laying down. She mumbles something under my breath and I stare down at her as she breathes out of her mouth moving the hairs that fell around her face. The movie finishes and I carefully pick up Magenta in my arms and carry her upstairs to my room. I set her on my bed and pull the blankets over her. I give her once last look before leaving my room and closing the door behind me. I lay down on the couch where we both just were, pulling the blanket over myself and snuggling into the cushions. Within minutes, I'm drifting off into a dreamless sleep completely peaceful.