f i f t e e n

Magenta

"Alright, settle down." My music teacher raises his voice to be heard. "Once everyone is quiet we'll begin presenting."

The call slowly quietens down and I find myself wishing they hadn't. Our project was to write a song and perform it to the class. Jackie and I obviously paired up.

"Good. Now, who wants to go first?" As expected no one raises their hand. "I guess we'll be drawing names then." Mr Cate sighs.

The typically jolly teacher writes everyone's name down on seperate pieces of paper and tosses them in a box. "Let's see who gets to go first." His hand dives into the box and pulls out a small slip of paper. "Jordan."

The short boy with a side fringe groans as his friend laughs at him. Jordan and his partner, Penny, walk to the front of the room and while Jordan takes a guitar Penny sits behind the piano.

"When you're ready."

The two start off with a soft melody which is soon joined by the powerful vocals of their voices mixed together. Their song ends and is rewarded with a loud applause. Mr Cate hand picks out another slip of paper and he smiles as he reads the name.

"Jackie."

I slide down in my seat when I realise that includes me.

"Up you get Magenta." He motions for me to get to the front of the classroom. I glance nervously at Jackie and she nods encouragingly. Hesitantly standing up, I make my way to the front of the room.

"Cool, so what do you girls have for me?"

"We wrote a song, its called DNA." I say.

Mr Cate writes something down on his sheet of paper and nods for us to start. We both grab a guitar and start to strum the strings, sitting g down on stools.

"Does he tell you he loves you when you least expect it?
Does he flutter your heart when he kisses your neck?
No scientist or biology
It's obvious when he's holding me
It's only natural that I'm so affected, oh, oh, oh" I put my full energy into the song as I try to use emotions in my voice as I sing - something Mr Cate said would boost our grade.

"And my heart won't beat again
If I can't feel him in my veins
No need to question, I already know"  Jackie smiles at me as her voice fills the room.

"It's in his DNA
D-D-D-DNA
It's in his DNA
And he just takes my breath away
B-b-b-breath away
I feel it every day,
And that's what makes a man
Not hard to understand
Perfect in every way
I see it in his face
Nothing more to say
It's in his D-D-D-DNA" Our voices blend together in harmony.

"It's the blue in his eyes that help me see the future.
Fingerprints that leave me covered for days, yeah, hey, yeah
Now I don't have any first degree
But I know, what he does to me
No need to work it out, it's so familiar, oh, oh, oh" I shut my eyes and continue to strum the familiar chords on the guitar sitting on my leg.

"And my heart won't beat again
If I can't feel him in my veins
No need to question, I already know" I've always loved Jackie's voice. I've always thought of it as an angel's voice.