t w e n t y - s e v e n

Magenta

I should have expected to wake up the way I did. But once again, I was surprised to wake up with tear stained cheeks and pillows. My night was a restless one and when I managed to sleep it didn't last long as I would wake up from a nightmare.

My mother's death.

Today's the anniversary of her death and as soon as I woke up I knew the day would be terrible. Once look out the window and I knew that nature agreed with me.

Rain streamed down my window and the sky was a dark grey filled with dark clouds.

I also woke up to an empty house. Tracking downstairs, I take a deep breath before cooking toast. Tears threatened to spill from my eyes each minute, everything seeming to remind me of my absent mother.

I sit down with my buttered toast and sip on orange juice, wondering how I'll spend my day. Easy choice; in bed wrapped up in blanket while watching netflix and eating ice cream.

Hmm maybe I'll throw in some Nutella as well.

*Knock knock*

The banging at my front door pulls me from my thoughts and my head snaps up. I drag my body over to the door and swing it open, looking down when I see no one. On the doormat, a bouquet of daffodils lay tied together with purple ribbon and an envelope on top. I look around but upon seeing no one in the street, shrug and pick them up. Once inside, I place the flowers in a vase and open the envelope.

Good morning beautiful,

I figured you wouldn't be at school today and would probably be in bed all day so here's a bouquet of flowers almost as pretty as you to brighten up your room
I'm just a call away (and a few streets) if you need me, take care of yourself

Brad x

I can't ignore the way my heart flutters as I read the best handwriting. No ones ever bought me flowers before...and for him to do this on such a sad day makes it even better. Boy that boy is good.

I fish out the Nutella and ice cream and carry them, along with my vase and envelope, up to my room where I hide from the world in blankets.

A few hours later I walk to the top of the stairs upon hearing the front door open. Dad and Andrea walk in arguing.

"We were supposed to go to Pilates!" Andrea says pouting.

"I'm sorry but I can't do it today. I told you to go but I wouldn't."

"Why not?" She whines.

"I told you today's a hard day for me. the anniversary of my wife's death is today I just need to relax and mourn."

"Ex-wife." Andrea reminds him. "And honey it's in the past, I'm sure she's happy you should be too. Now let's go to the mall."

"No Andrea, I'm staying here." My Dad is firm and a smile creeps on my face as I watch Andrea grumble and storm out of the house.

I slow descend the staircase and my dad looks up from where he sits on the couch, head clutched in his hands. I sit down next to him and wrap my arms around his waist holding him tight. He hugs me back and I close my eyes, savouring the moment.

"I'm sorry I haven't been home much kiddo, it wasn't fair on you. I just miss your mother so much and had to keep myself busy. I regret that now, I should have been here for you."