9. It Won't Be a Problem

9. It Won't Be a Problem: Josephine's Pov

Chapter Goal (for an early update): 400 votes

QOTC- do y'all prefer morning updates or night updates?

As I wake, my body instantly senses the difference between this cloud-like bed and the ratty old mattress that I'm so used to sleeping on. I snuggle against my pillow, feeling a small smile come to my face at its softness, only to jump in surprise when I feel it move underneath me. "What the hell?" I mutter aloud, trying to make sense of my surroundings.

Instead of resisting the person holding me in their arms, I find myself leaning into their touch. "Archer." I confirm, remembering last night's events.

Flashback

'Let's go to mate's room.' my wolf whines, wanting to be in Archer's arms for the night. I've tried blocking her out for the past hour, but she gets past my mental barriers ever once in a while and nags at me. I was able to peacefully fall asleep earlier, but the ever-soft bed seems empty now that I take in all the empty space around me.

I don't like this feeling. I never have. I don't like missing the presence of someone. I don't like how it reminds me of how much I depend on other people. And I don't like that my wolf is starting to need Archer every night. She's been like this ever since we started getting to know him on a more personal level, but the problem hasn't been bad until we spend a night with him. The after effects of my Heat isn't affecting us, I know it's not. It's the damn mate bond that's messing with my head.

"Josephine?" I hear Archer whisper from his room across the hall. "Are you awake?" he asks a little louder this time.

Thinking about what will happen if I answer, and what will happen if I don't, I hesitantly reply, "I'm awake."

"I can't sleep." Archer admits, talking at a normal volume when he remembers that he doesn't have to worry about waking anyone. "Me neither." I agree, thankful that I'm not the only one having trouble falling asleep.

'What happens now?' I ask my wolf, not knowing what to do next. Archer seems to be having the same problem because an awkward silence fills the air for the next couple of minutes before I decide to speak up, "Is it okay if I spend the night with you? Just for tonight?"

"That's perfectly fine with me." I can basically hear the smile in his voice as he speaks. "I'll come into your room so you don't have to walk."

I think that he's trying to contain his excitement, but I can hear his loud movements. His dinosaur footsteps as he runs into the guest room and pretty much dives onto the other side of the bed. Even though he made sure not to land on me, his added weight causes me to sink in his direction. "You seem excited." I joke, trying not to let our close proximity effect me. "You pretty much jumped out of your bed and sprinted over here."

"Go to sleep, Josephine." he grumbles, wrapping his arms around me and pulling my body flush against his.

"Buona nott- Goodnight." I whisper, resting my head on his chest. I try to stay awake longer than Archer, but having him here suddenly makes me realize how tired I am and causes me to fall asleep in just a few minutes.

Flashback Over

"Are you okay? What's wrong?" Archer's voice snaps me out of my thoughts, his voice husky with sleep. "Did I put pressure on your cast or something?"

"No, I'm fine." I shake my head, starting to realize how close we are to each other. I've been this close to people before, it's just that being so close to Archer specifically makes me feel weird. Touching him makes me nervous, but the sparks that come with the action is comforting. "I just forgot where I was for a second."