13. What Do You Want to Know?

13. What Do You Want to Know?: Josephine's Pov

Chapter Goal: 390 votes, 100 comments (for the scene where Josephine first meets Archer)

QOTC- Any questions about any of the characters?

"Sophie." he mouths, smirking directly at me.

"He's here." I gasp, looking back down at the table. Waves of fear wash over me as I reach into my back pocket for my knife, only to remember that I left it in the woods. I don't have a weapon. That means that I have no advantage over Keaton. And I sure as hell know from past experiences that I can't defend myself from him. 'We need to go.' I mind-link Archer, afraid of Keaton listening to us.

"Where is he?" Archer growls, not moving a muscle. I try to push him out of the booth and onto his feel, but he doesn't budge. Instead, his eyes scan every face in the restaurant, trying to find out who I'm talking about. "We need to go." I plead. I glance back up at Keaton and see that talking to a waiter.

Glancing at him was a mistake, though. Archer's head snaps in the direction that I'm looking in and his eyes immediately land on Keaton. "He's the one who hurt you." he glares at Keaton and doesn't even try to hide his anger. "It's him, isn't it?"

"I didn't hear a 'no'." he confirms after a couple seconds, taking my silence as an answer to his question. "I'll be right back." he doesn't take his eyes off of Keaton. When I comprehend that he's about to get up, I quickly grab onto his arm to stop him from going. "Don't leave me alone." I rush out, knowing that nothing good will happen if we separate. There's no way that Keaton came here by himself; I'm afraid that he's just waiting for Archer and I to be alone, that he'll strike when we don't have each other around.

The world seems to slow down for a while as Archer freezes and turns to look at me. "Do whatever you want to him, just don't leave me by myself." I whisper, looking at him with pleading eyes. My heart beats loud with anticipation as I wait for him to make a move. If he decides to go to Keaton, I'll have no choice but it to follow him. All I know for sure is that I'm not leaving his side, even if it means having to get closer to my tormentor. "We're leaving." he says after a while, helping me stand up on my crutches. I see him hesitate for a second, trying to decide if it's worth it to let me walk on my crutches or to just carry me. "I can walk on my own." I quietly tell him, knowing that having him carry me will attract unwanted attention.

Archer walks by my side and keeps me close to him. "We need to talk." he states, rushing us out the back door and out to the parking lot. "I know." I nod, desperate to get into the car. I constantly look over my shoulder in fear that Keaton is following us, but my mate blocks my view with his body.

"He was there." I breathlessly pant, holding my head in my hands. Seeing the people that he sent after me was already bad enough, but to see the devil himself? That's enough to make me fear for my life. I've seen the things that Keaton has done to people who 'owe' him and I've experienced some of his punishments before. It's hell having to constantly look over my shoulder in fear that he's about to hurt me even more than he already has. "He was there."

I've been on edge ever since I got that not so anonymous call from Keaton saying that 'getting me back won't be a problem'. But spending the day with Archer has made me completely forget about how dangerous it is to be traveling at this time.

Besides the fact that Keaton somehow managed to find out the events that Archer planned for the two of us today, what scares me most is that I don't know what his motives are. Is he planning on doing something to the pack now that he knows that I'm Archer's mate? Is he going to hurt Archer?