17. Last Warning

17. Last Warning: Archer's Pov

QOTC- do you read Wattpad with pages or do you just scroll down?
AOTC- I just scroll down

Chapter Goal: 300 votes (for Nate's Pov in the next chapter)

It's been three weeks since Valentine's Day and I'm proud to say that Josephine and I have gotten closer during that time span. The bet we made at the arcade got called off since we both won the same number of games. Our schedules have been more lined up so we get to see each other more, but there are still times when my mate just randomly goes off somewhere without warning.

Every other day or so either in the morning or afternoon she'll go out of the house for a couple hours before coming back. I try mind-linking her to see where she's at, but she simply takes it as a call to come back home. At first I thought that she just went out on runs since she usually has the scent of nature on her when she comes back. However, when I offered to go on a run with her she just shook her head and said she wasn't in the mood.

I feel as though we have grown a lot closer lately, but at the same time there are moments when she prefers to keep things to herself. And I realized that when something's wrong or if something's bothering her, she keeps it to herself until she can't handle it anymore. I wish that she would let me in on what's going on in her life, but I know that she still wants to keep some things to herself. My wolf has been talking to hers through our mate bond and not even he knows what's going on right now.

No part of me is skeptical with whom she's with when she disappears like that. I'm just worried about where she's going. Since she always comes back smelling like nature, I think she goes somewhere through the woods. It's normal for wolves to do that, but I get worried about the dangers of her being out there alone. And I think she's alone when she goes out because she doesn't have traces of other people on her when she comes back.

"Hey." I greet when she walks into the office.

"Hey." she murmurs, sitting down on the couch while I remain on the spinning chair by my desk.

The familiar smell of the outdoors on her, I ask, "Where'd you go?"

"I went on a walk." she answers, using her hand to rest her head on.

"By yourself?" She nods, making me frown. But instead of voicing my thoughts about what could have happened when she was out and about alone, I say, "You've been going for a lot of walks lately, haven't you?"

Once again, she nods. "Any particular reason?" I question.

"Nope." she shakes her head, watching me as I work. "Do you want me to help you with packwork?"

"I'm just looking over stuff," I decline her offer.

I spend a couple more minutes looking over the rest of my papers, glancing up at her every few moments and seeing her looking at the ground with a distant look in her eyes. "What are you thinking about?" I ask, putting away my work.

When she doesn't seem to acknowledge that I'm speaking to her, I push myself on my spinning chair so that I'm sitting directly in front of her. "Josephine." I wave my hand in her face, now gaining her attention.

"Did you say something?"

I chuckle, "I asked you for your thoughts. You spaced out on me."

"Oh." she mutters, sitting up straight on the couch.

"What's on your mind?" I gently place a hand on her cheek, looking over her face.

She shrugs, "Stuff. I've just been thinking about things a lot lately, doing a lot of things lately."